Options

Another OSCP Journey

Comments

• Options
    ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    I've not worked on master yet, but it sounds like a hint at a misconfiguration to me.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just an update.
    I am finally getting around to taking the OSCP exam on Saturday (Jan 31). I don't know if I am prepared or not.
    Ive managed to pop all but a few of the student servers, and a few in the IT network.
    I was also successful in popping pain and sufference. So we will see.
  • Options
    Killj0yKillj0y Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck MrAgent! You will do fine. Just have your music and snacks ready.
    Certifications: GPEN, SMFE, CISSP, OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, Security+, CEHv6, MCSE+Sec:2003
  • Options
    EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck!! Let us know how you get on
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Good luck!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    Roads. Where we're going. We don't need roads!
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security
  • Options
    I was finally able to successfully complete the buffer overflow section.
    Took me a few hours, but I finally climbed over that hill! I am feeling more confident with this exam now!
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome! I'm pulling for you, hope you will post your post mortem and let us know how you did.
  • Options
    Thanks!
    I am sure Ill make a blog post somewhere about it.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Reading all of this makes me want to get back to it. I can't wait.
  • Options
    Just an update.
    I finished the exam yesterday, and submitted my documentation.
    I was able to completely root/admin 2 of the 5 servers. I also managed to get a limited shell on 2 additional servers.
    I don't know if this is enough to pass the exam or not. I should know by Wednesday, if not sooner, if I passed or not.
  • Options
    john13619john13619 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I hope you will pass because i think it's just just to pass.

Did you send too you labs documentation ?
  • Options
    I did not submit lab documentation. If I fail, I will be submitting it when/if I retake the exam.
  • Options
    Well. I received the email that I did not pass.
    Looks like I will be enduring the challenge again.
    We regret to inform you that, based upon review of your course and exam documentation, you did not meet the requirements to obtain the Penetration Testing with Kali Linux certification.
  • Options
    MrAgent wrote: »
    Well. I received the email that I did not pass.
    Looks like I will be enduring the challenge again.

Sorry to hear that. Good luck on your next attempt. Today was my first day at my new office location (relocated from Tampa to Jacksonville) and I was talking to two of my teammates here and apparently they both failed their first and only OSCP attempt. And these are some smart and very experienced InfoSec dudes too.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    I have already re-scheduled for my next attempt. I am taking it again on Feb 21.
    I will pass this time.
    I didnt turn in my lab documentation, this time I will do that. I only scored 65 points, I am guessing. The two that I rooted were worth 45 points total, while the two others I had shells on were worth only 10 points for limited shells (this is a guess).

So if I can do the same thing next time, and submit the lab documentation, I should be good to go.
  • Options
    Ouch. Had you turned in the lab docs you probably would have passed. I remember in at least two of the OSCP reviews I've read, the lab documentation is worth extra points and could be the difference between a pass and fail.
  • Options
    Yeah... I didnt document as I went in the lab, so I will be spending the next couple of weeks doing that.
  • Options
    So, I am curious if anyone knows, when you do a re-take will you encounter the same hosts with the same vulnerabilities?

Don't sweat it man, you will get it next time around, for sure don't give up.
  • Options
    I've had a couple of friends retake it, and thankfully they were given different servers.
    I am retaking the exam this Saturday, the 21st at 10AM EST.

I feel like I just recovered from the lack of sleep from my last go around. I hope this time is different.
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MrAgent wrote: »
    I am retaking the exam this Saturday, the 21st at 10AM EST.

I'm rooting for you man...no pun intended icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You got this! Go gettem icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Its going to be tough (again). Windows escalation is probably my weakest point. I need to read up on Windows escalation and post exploitation. Anyone have any recommended readings for it, other than the usual g0tm1lk blog?
  • Options
    john13619john13619 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well...

Windows Priv Escalation isn't the easiest thing. There is so many ways it depends hightly plenty of things, updated or not, softwares ... ect.

So i don't think there would be something better than g0tmilk posts but you can still search, sorry.
  • Options
    Best of luck to you, hope to be reading that you passed soon.
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Best of luck to you
  • Options
    So an update.
    I took the exam yesterday.
    Started at 10 am and was completely finished by 3pm. Took another hour or two to finish and submit my docs.
    I managed to get root/admin on 4 of the 5 boxes, and had a limited shell on the 5th. I was happy with that and submitted my docs.
    I didnt have to stay up another 24 hours like the last time. I got to sleep, no stress, and it felt good.
    I think I over prepared for the exam, which is a very good thing.
    I would say that I passed the exam. I am just waiting on the email from Offsec, which probably wont be here until Tuesday.

I got an email from vmware saying I need to retake my VCP exam if I want to stay certified... So I will study that for the next month, after that CISSP.

Ill update this after I do a review of the labs/exam.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good, with 4 machines with root, thats good
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I hope you get your good news on Tuesday!