Options

Starting out in a NOC or a SOC in the DMV

For the past 4 years I've been working in an analytical position in the DMV. I felt awhile ago that it was time for a career change, and started studying for certs. I have A+, S+, CCENT, C|EH, and I'm about 70% of the way done w/ OSCP. I'd like to avoid working basic helpdesk phone support, and it seems like a NOC or a SOC are the right places to look for junior jobs like that. Are my expectations in this realistic? Is it likely that I'll be able to find something beyond the helpdesk, or is my best bet going to be to take the first IT type job I can get?
Currently Studying For: GXPN

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    NOC's/SOC's are good entry-way into the IT world if that is the route you want to take. With your certs it seems like Help Desk is not the track you should go so if your "unofficial" skills match your cert list I don't see why someone wouldn't take a chance on you as far as entry-level NOC/SOC position goes.

But, are there NOC/SOC positions in your area? SOC's are scarcer than NOC's.
  • Options
    GorbyGorby Member Posts: 141
    I would definitely look on the career boards and apply directly to the local MSP's for a NOC role. Just make sure you read the job description, some NOC roles may just involve monitoring with no real troubleshooting (Been there before).

Accuvant has some entry level SOC positions as an example.
  • Options
    nachodbanachodba Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Luckily, in this area you won't have an issue finding a NOC/SOC. With your certs you would probably catch on doing some sort of Tier 1 desktop support, from that point you could work your way up to Junior Sysadmin with a few years of experience.
    2020 Goals
    work-life balance
  • Options
    ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    Thanks for the input guys, being new to the field I've been a bit worried about what positions are worth my time to apply to, and if I'm going down the right path to get where I want to be. And thanks for the Accuvant tip as well Gorby.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN