Options

Set my test date!

kbowen0188kbowen0188 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
So, I am studying for the 70-410. I have no major experience with servers, but I have worked for about 3 years as a Windows 7 field tech. I am looking to advance my career to a System Admin position, or a Junior System Admin position. I have books, videos and a lab set up.

What should my test date be? I will sit here and be indecisive all day long if I don't get a little push, so I figured you folks might know what a reasonable amount of time is to study. I have a full time job, but can study a bit on it.

I appreciate it. :)

Comments

• Options
    pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you've got no server experience you'll probably find the exam very difficult but obviously you won't know until you try, you're probably doing the right thing looking to book it as it'll put some pressure on to do the study.

I'd say 6 weeks from now if you're starting today but it depends on how many hours per day you can spare I think most people look to do 2-4hrs per day.

Good luck.
  • Options
    nachodbanachodba Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would be prepared to spend 2-4 hours per day like pjd007 said, but also I would dedicate at least every other weekend towards lab work. My schedule when I was doing the certifications was 2-4 hours a night throughout the week and at least 8-10 hours on the weekends. I took about a month per exam with this schedule, but I wanted to be safe.
    2020 Goals
    work-life balance
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It really boils down to how fast you can learn and how much time you want to devote to it. I would love to have 4 hours to give to studying daily and 8-10 hours on the weekend, but I have a life outside of my job and certs.

I have just started planning/studying for Windows 2012 R2 MCSA, and I believe with 2 hours a night and 8 hours per weekend to Lab and review. It will take me every bit of 2 months to prep and pass an exam. So 6-8 months for MCSA and an additional 5 months for MCSE Server Infrastructure. I give MCSE more time because I have seen people not fail a MCSA but fail MCSE Design exams.

I pick Server infrastructure first, then Exchange or Cloud second or Double MCSE? Well see how the first MCSE goes. lol

I believe that those numbers are low. But very do able if I stay on track and focus on successful study time.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    kbowen0188kbowen0188 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What is your current study plan, Bub? It'd be interesting to see how others are tackling it.
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Right now I am watching CBT Nuggets for 70-410 while reading through "Mastering Windows server 2012 R2". I plan to start building out the Microsoft TLG lab setup this weekend. I believe just building and setting up a Lab will help with the learning process as well.

Test Lab Guides - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

I sat through a one week boot camp for upgrading skills to Server 2012, and will be using the loads of labs that I printed out for it as well.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    Technet is your best resource. Start with the active directory in server 2012 articles and read them ALL. On my most recent 70-417 at least 50% of the questions came right out of the technet articles. Verbatim. Federation topics are not easy, spend plenty of time on them.