Options

Starting CISSP, ?s

redterrorzredterrorz Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
hello mates, I am starting the CISSP exam, self study. I just passed SEC+ 2 weeks ago, self study as well. I like to do a pretest to see where I stand before starting the studying. I took a 250 question, simulation test of CISSP and scored 63% so I feel it is a good sign. I would appreciate any advise, pointers to online resources. Also how does the sponsorship work? I just need someone w/CISSP to vouch for me right? thanks for the insight.

Comments

• Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Any ISC2 certification holder in good standing can endorse you. It doesn't need to be the same certification as the one you are applying for.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    do they ask for a resume & references to see if you have worked x amount of years in the field?
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    you need a detailed resume and, if you are audited, they'll need to speak with supervisors from the positions you claim to have experience from.
  • Options
    redterrorz wrote: »
    do they ask for a resume & references to see if you have worked x amount of years in the field?

If you don't have the experience required, you can become an Associate of ISC2 and as long as you maintain your continuing education credits and annual fees, you can become a CISSP once you have acquired the amount of necessary experience.

How much experience do you have at the moment that you are comfortable in saying will apply towards a CISSP?
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    I have done IT support for the last 10 years. This includes HW, SW, App/Production Support, Virus/Malware cleanup and AD accounts management. so it has not focused on security.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I have done IT support for the last 10 years. This includes HW, SW, App/Production Support, Virus/Malware cleanup and AD accounts management. so it has not focused on security.

You only need experience in 2 of the 10 domains. It's really not that hard to meet if you have an ounce of security related job duties. If your AD accounts management involves adding/removing from security groups, I'd say you meet the Access Control domain. Virus/Malware cleanup would fall under Operations Security. If you have 5 years of experience doing both then you're good to go.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    that's good to know, thanks! I was afraid I would have to take SSCP to get "in the fold". not that I mind getting SSCP, it's just that it's a stepping stone (& extra cost) to the CISSP.
  • Options
    Holding Security+ also drops the experience requirement to 4 years.
  • Options
    sweet! thanks for all the feedback.
  • Options
    5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
    sweet! thanks for all the feedback.

Out of curiousity, what are you using for your study mat?
  • Options
    I have a couple books on PDF. what do you recommend?
    5502george wrote: »
    Out of curiousity, what are you using for your study mat?