Options

Program Manager Offer?

*EDIT* It was an offer for a PROJECT MANAGER, not program manager....my mistake....

I just received an offer for an IT project management position. I am currently in the security/IA field and the pay would be a slight increase, but not a determining factor. While I do like security sometimes, it tends to get dry and monotonous. I think I might enjoy the opportunity to give sec a break for a bit and concentrate on other technologies. The job is for a midsize company.

The thing is that I love to interact with people, unfortunately in the sec field that does not happen to often. So I think I might actually like a position that has interaction as this would. I just don’t want to lose valuable sec experience if I do not end up liking a program management job.

Anyone out there have PM experience (Fulltime) in the IT world?
Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    Is a Program Manager similar to a Project Manager?
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
    Is a Program Manager similar to a Project Manager?

Im an idiot, yes its for a project manager....not program manager
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I do a lot of IT infrastructure project management work. Communicating with stakeholders and managing their expectations can be a pain at times but I thrive in the pressure of delivering projects on-time and on-budget.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I recently was asked if i would be interested in taking an role in a new company as a project manager. I am done doing grunt work and find myself wanting more direct interaction with people on an operational level. I am waiting to hear back right now but i am interested to hear more from other folks while i wait to get more details.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am a BA but provide a lot of Application Development Project Management. In fact I just had my 1 on 1 with my boss and I am going to be taking more of the role on. I love it, but it is has 0 technical components to the position, that is for the developers. I do have to understand UML diagrams and some development jargon. I really like it and it pays well.

I still write SQL and develop reports so I keep my data skills up but IMO it's a great gig, especially if you are getting burnt out on support and IT in general.

Some of my daily task:

Build out project plans
    GANTT Charts
    Requirement gathering and analysis. There is a true art to this don't let someone convince you otherwise
    Facilate meetings
    Some statistical analysis (STD DEV, Pareto charting, ANOVA) some quality analysis using Six Sigma methodology
    Uncover risk and come up with strategies.

It's a lot of fun.