Options

Best path toward MCSA Server 2012

FortKnightFortKnight Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello. I've been getting plenty of Server 2012 practice in at work whenever I could (along with Ghost imaging and VMWare), and it looks like I finally found something I enjoy working on. It might be time to become MCSA Server 2012 certified.

I've been told there are two paths to MCSA Server 2012. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Take exams 410, 411, and 412 to just get Server 2012

2. (The one I'm not sure about) Take exams 680 and 686 to get MCITP W7 Enterprise Desktop Admin, then take exam 417 to get Server 2012

I've already started studying for the 680 because everyone at work is using Windows 7 (albeit Professional, not Enterprise), so I thought I might as well get certified in it. But would it be better to do the dedicated exams instead?

Comments

• Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think there was one person here who did the 680 + 686 >> 417 route. It's not something I would recommend myself though. Knowing the client side helps when you when you get to the server side. IMO you get the complete picture when you go for the client exam(s) and then do the server exams.

You should be able to fly through 680 if you are already using it daily and are familiar with it, it's still a tough exam though. If you need to do 685 or 686 is up to you though, if you do desktop deployment then 686 could be useful to you. If not, then you could go straight to the 410 >> 411 >> 412 exams.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I recommend the straight path through the MCSA: Server 2012 material. You will learn more about server technologies that way, which will help you in real-world scenarios. If you want to also go the desktop route, you can do MCSA: Windows 8 to complement the Server 2012 material, or you can go MCSA: Windows 7, which will also earn you MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator or MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician, depending on whether you take the 70-680 + 70-686 or the 70-680 + 70-685.

Good luck!
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Thanks! Well, I better get 680 and 686 done first. Then, I'll do 410, 411, and 412.

Looking through the forums, it looks like taking a shortcut is probably not a good idea for these exams. This will be my first attempt at any of the Microsoft certifications, and I don't want to blow it.
  • Options
    jem7skjem7sk Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Why not do the Desktop Infrastructure MCSE route? It seems you should get there quicker and learn SCCM

https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcse-desktop-infrastructure-certification.aspx
  • Options
    So maybe forgo the Windows 7 exams and go straight for the Server 2012 exams? I've considered that.

Most places (from what I understand) are still deploying Windows 7. I figure, why not get certified in it?
  • Options
    jem7skjem7sk Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    FortKnight wrote: »
    So maybe forgo the Windows 7 exams and go straight for the Server 2012 exams? I've considered that.

Most places (from what I understand) are still deploying Windows 7. I figure, why not get certified in it?

You could.. I've been certified in every corporate client OS since Windows NT Workstation (but not W7 or icon_cool.gif and I didn't learn anything I didn't already know from working with it. I still have never gotten my MCSE for various reasons.. usually MS' fault with cancelling tracks and exam centers... I am glad that 2012 MCSE allows me to bypass the client OS and go straight for the Server. Although that 686 looks interesting.. I think I will focus on MCSE and learn the interesting things from 686 on my own. I think getting the MCSE first will help me with promotions. Plus I haven't worked with any servers since 2003 until recently and 2012 is way different IMO.
  • Options
    jem7sk wrote: »
    You could.. I've been certified in every corporate client OS since Windows NT Workstation (but not W7 or icon_cool.gif and I didn't learn anything I didn't already know from working with it. I still have never gotten my MCSE for various reasons.. usually MS' fault with cancelling tracks and exam centers... I am glad that 2012 MCSE allows me to bypass the client OS and go straight for the Server. Although that 686 looks interesting.. I think I will focus on MCSE and learn the interesting things from 686 on my own. I think getting the MCSE first will help me with promotions. Plus I haven't worked with any servers since 2003 until recently and 2012 is way different IMO.

That's what I was thinking. After looking at the 680 objectives, it's mostly stuff I already know. I'll still hang on to the 680 material, but maybe I'll go ahead and prepare for the Server 2012 exams. Thanks!
  • Options
    hooky13hooky13 Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with that path, sort of what I am going through currently as well. I started with the MCITP path, but kinda switched up and am now studying for the 410,11, and 12 exams. Even though most corps are going to be running 2008r2 for awhile I would rather be certified in the newest tech and not something that will expire in the cert world soon. That way we will be all set when corps everywhere start doing their upgrades. I have worked with 2008 r2 professionaly for the past 4 years anyhow but 2012 and 2012r2 has been somewhat challenging for me with the newly added UI and all the powershell that they are requiring for the exam. I have heard the exams are pretty tough and I am trying to get in as much lab time as possible, accompanied with the CBT nugget vids while in the car. Good luck keep in touch as will I on progress!! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Precisely what I was thinking.

I'm using Server 2012 R2 on the job now (getting it ready, so I can image new computers), but I'm also using labs and CBT nuggets. To be safe, I've also ordered a book which got mostly good reviews (Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2).

Now I just need to see how much time I'll need for the 410 before scheduling the exam.
  • Options
    MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145

I'm using Server 2012 R2 on the job now (getting it ready, so I can image new computers), but I'm also using labs and CBT nuggets. To be safe, I've also ordered a book which got mostly good reviews (Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2).

Now I just need to see how much time I'll need for the 410 before scheduling the exam.

In my opinion for now and the near future, knowledge of Server 2008 is far more valuable than 2012. Aside from a few extremely forwarding enterprises deploying sharepoint 2013 or storage spaces, there is no need to upgrade from the nearly perfect MS server OS 2008 R2. In fact, a huge % of enterprises are still on 2003.

In the end get certified in the tech you use. IF you plan to stay where you are and your job is migrating everything to 2012, then 2012 it is!
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm looking over the upgrade path and I'm not able to find where it says the 680+685 allows you to get the Server2012 MCSA with exam 417, but I do see that it does allow you to get the MSCE using the 417, +415/416.. I'm I just confused? I didn't think the 417 could be written unless one had the (old desig) MCITP:SA or EA, but then again, I'm just getting back to my intensive certifications after a bit of a hiatus.

I'm interested because of my personal situation: For personal goals, I passed the 640 and 642 certifications years ago, before R2, but personal situations halted my progress to finish the 646 for the MCITP:SA. For work requirements, I completed the 680 and 685 to be an Enterprise Desktop Support Technician. Work is now finally upgrading from XP and Server 2003 to Win7 and Server 2012 (bypassing my anticipated preparation on 200icon_cool.gif, and the boss gave me the green light to update my server skills to 2012

so I guess what I'm wondering is, does the Windows 7 cert set qualify me for the 417 to become a 2012 MCSA? Or do I need to finish the 2008 with the 646 test (finding it hard to get back into, knowing I won't need it here at work) to complete the 2008 MCSA first. I'd really rather write fewer tests if I could, hence the 417 target, but I might almost rather do the 410,11 and 12 separately if it's only an option to upgrade 2008 to 2012, it's only one more test, and I can clear my brains 2008 cache completely haha..
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was farting around and answered my own question.. from the technet blog a little while back
    Rinc Khampa 6 months agoKeith,
    It seems a little odd that MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 cert qualifies for the upgrade, but not the MCITP: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician.
    Could you clarify?

[COLOR=rgba(0, 39, 59, 0.498039)]

Share ›

[/COLOR]
        Keith Mayer Microsoft Rinc Khampa 6 months agoHi Rinc,
        Thanks for your question! The skills validated in the DST certification do not cover enough server skills to set someone up for success and is much more heavily focused on the desktop, which makes it a better certification to upgrade to the MCSA: Windows 8.
        Hope this helps!
        Best regards,
        Keith

• [COLOR=rgba(0, 39, 59, 0.34902)][/COLOR]
        • Sh

:study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
      • Options
        In my opinion for now and the near future, knowledge of Server 2008 is far more valuable than 2012. Aside from a few extremely forwarding enterprises deploying sharepoint 2013 or storage spaces, there is no need to upgrade from the nearly perfect MS server OS 2008 R2. In fact, a huge % of enterprises are still on 2003.

In the end get certified in the tech you use. IF you plan to stay where you are and your job is migrating everything to 2012, then 2012 it is!

That's what I've worried about, too. The office still uses 2003 and 2008, and I'm sure a bunch of other places do, as well.

What if, instead of doing the three Server 2012 exams, maybe I do the three Server 2008 exams, then upgrade to 2012 with exam 417? Perhaps the upgrade won't be as tough, going from server to server, rather than going from desktop to server.
      • Options
        lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
        I did the both the Server 2008 and Windows 7 MCITP's, so the 70-417 upgrade for MCSA 2012 was just the icing on the cake.

I would not recommend to go Win 7 MCITP + 70-417 to get the "MCSA 2012". You will be woefully underprepared for the server side of things.

Also, I'm one exam away each for the MCSE Server 2012 and MCSE Desktop...should have those finished up soon!
      • Options
        That's what I've worried about, too. The office still uses 2003 and 2008, and I'm sure a bunch of other places do, as well.

What if, instead of doing the three Server 2012 exams, maybe I do the three Server 2008 exams, then upgrade to 2012 with exam 417? Perhaps the upgrade won't be as tough, going from server to server, rather than going from desktop to server.

Its certainly a good decision on paper - though I just took the 417 yesterday and it was the most difficult IT exam i've ever taken! I prepared for 6 weeks. But everyone's preparations are different.

Server 2008 R2 is really not that different from 2012. Just the 2012 exams will focus on server manager and the new roles like IPAM and workspaces. Since most enterprises don't even use these techs, why get certified in it? I only took the 417 because I need to get an MCSE: Communication (lync 2013) and 417 is a prereq.
      • Options
        Its certainly a good decision on paper - though I just took the 417 yesterday and it was the most difficult IT exam i've ever taken! I prepared for 6 weeks. But everyone's preparations are different.

Server 2008 R2 is really not that different from 2012. Just the 2012 exams will focus on server manager and the new roles like IPAM and workspaces. Since most enterprises don't even use these techs, why get certified in it? I only took the 417 because I need to get an MCSE: Communication (lync 2013) and 417 is a prereq.

You've given me a lot to think about. All I know is, if I don't start learning something, I never will. I may as well start learning Server 2012.

I would like to work toward getting the more advanced certifications, like MCSE and the Cisco certs, but I think I need more work experience. Speaking of which, I'm also currently searching for a better job, something that will actually help build my skill set and give me a better idea of what I want to do next.
      • Options
        jonny72jonny72 Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□

There is a lot more to Server 2012 than the couple of examples you've given. Sure some enterprises are slow moving forward but that's no reason to not learn the latest technologies, added to which the basics are the same for AD, DNS, DHCP amongst others. Learning 2012 also means you will know about it when your colleagues probably won't which could be useful.

The certification path is also a lot better on 2012 than 2008, takes you from the basics (installing) whereas 2008 is all over the place.

The other main selling point for 2012 certification is that you have to learn PowerShell, which you have to get up to speed on asap.
      • Options
        powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
        If you are already going to do 680 and 686, by all means head for 417. But if your main goal is MCSA Windows Server 2012, go with 410, 411, and 412.
        2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
        2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
      • Options
        MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
        What would be the recommendation for someone like me who already has the MCITP: EDA certification? Better to take the 3 seperate tests to get the MCSA 2012 or take the 417 exam to get it done in one shot? I'm already looking at this taking me a few months to study/prep for the exam, but not sure what would be the easiest process since my free time is limited due to having a young kid to look after.
      • Options
        The 417 is designed for that purpose, so I would recommend it.
      • Options
        MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
        Thanks powerfool. Just wasn't sure if it would be the "best" one to take over the more expensive and time consuming path of the 410-411-412 to get the same designation. I know $450 compared to $150 is a big jump in cost, but I'm just leary on my 2012 knowledge at this point. I did start studying about a year ago, and I'm sure that the materials I had then are likely out of date by now. As I said, young kiddo, and little free time really took me away from my studies on this certification. I guess if I have the time to study and run tons of labs maybe I can have it done by the end of the year/beginning of 2015.
      • Options
        VerrucktVerruckt Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□

WOW... I am sorry, but you are so off base - 2012 is in widespread use and there are some fundamental differences between it and 2008. I don't know what industry you're in but I've seen a very high adoption rate of 2012.

Most enterprises, if they are not using 2012 now, will be using it soon. Handicapping yourself (especially on an exam forum) makes absolutely ZERO sense.
      • Options
        netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
        I have to agree with Verruckt, 2012 adoption is happening very quickly and the fact the 2003 will be EOL next spring will drive this even faster. Knowing the core knowledge for AD and related services is mostly the same across all versions of Windows and will be relevant on 2K3 or 2K8, plus you will get to learn the new features available and can plan for changes accordingly.

I was disappointed in myself for waiting so long to get back into the certification game, I used the knowledge I had of 2K3 and carried it over to 2K8 without knowing about or learning many of the new features and abilities.

Technology is changing even faster now and being forward minded with your goals and abilities is vital to grow in the industry. The conversation goes from 'lets update 2K3 to 2K8 because it is easy and more people know about it' too 'lets update from 2k3 to 2K12 because it has these new features will get the company current and "Bob" has the skills and knowledge to make it happen'.
      • Options
        Verruckt wrote: »
        WOW... I am sorry, but you are so off base - 2012 is in widespread use and there are some fundamental differences between it and 2008. I don't know what industry you're in but I've seen a very high adoption rate of 2012.

Most enterprises, if they are not using 2012 now, will be using it soon. Handicapping yourself (especially on an exam forum) makes absolutely ZERO sense.

I work in an enterprise with over 100k employees, and before that was a consultant. In my experience, there are more Windows 2000 servers in production than there are 2012. Thats a sad fact. Enterprises are just slow to move when everything works.
      • Options
        In regards to 2012 adoption, it may be picking up, but the last TechEd had some adoption statistics that showed North American adoption at VERY low levels (somewhere around 3%, IIRC), while European adoption was much higher (somewhere around 75%, again, IIRC).

Anecdotally, I push 2012 right now as my primary focus with Exchange 2013. In addition, I just saw a Windows 2000 Server in production with one of my customers.
      • Options
        daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
        I'm going to wait for Server 2016, as I can imagine the GUI will be completely redesigned such as Win 10. Actually I want to get both of those certifications when they are available to take.