Options

ICND1 Failed

markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
Not sure where to go from here. I got a 722 and the passing score is 804. I have got Packet Tracer and made a few networks, I watched all of the CBT Nuggets videos, looked through Odom's book, took practice tests at Transcender (which I didn't like) and subnetting.net. I know I've got subnetting down to a 'T' and all of the basic networking questions are easy, I think I maybe struggled a little on some of the interactive questions. I'm just a little confused by the report I got.

Operation of IP Data Networks - 33%
LAN Switching Technologies - 55%
IP addressing IPv4 and IPv6 - 83%
IP Routing Technologies - 50%
IP Services - 63%
Troubleshooting - 86%

Based on that, I'm not sure what to study up on some more or which resources to use. I plan on retaking it next weekend if possible, but not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Check out Bryant Advantage. I really helped increase my score for the ICND2 exam when I was taking the older version.

CCNA, CCENT, CCNP, And Security Certs - Without Busting Your Budget!
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    PupilPupil Member Posts: 168
    You've failed your first certification exam; it's not the end of the world. Don't retake the exam next weekend. Take a break, relax a bit, then get back up for another round. Based on the score report, look at which objectives fall under each area and assess which ones you need to review. Then retake the exam when you're ready.

How were you in regards to time during the exam?
  • Options
    My time management was pretty good. I had about 20 minutes left when I finished.

The objectives just seem pretty vague for me to really focus on anything.
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I took ICND1, I felt I knew the answers to all. But my score didnt reflect that although I passed. While the test was going on, did you have some questions that made you pause and guess? I'm impressed with your t-shoot scores, so hit the layer 2 switching a little bit more.
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    mikeybinec wrote: »
    When I took ICND1, I felt I knew the answers to all. But my score didnt reflect that although I passed. While the test was going on, did you have some questions that made you pause and guess? I'm impressed with your t-shoot scores, so hit the layer 2 switching a little bit more.

I felt about the same. I was able to get a network to work pretty well using the Cisco hierarchical diagram (with some help from here of course) and thought I absorbed quite a bit from the CBT nuggets videos.

The confusion is the troubleshooting portion. On those interactive questions where I had to do show commands to find the problem was where I thought I messed up so is that score reflecting that? Outside of that, I thought I did pretty well. Regardless of anything though, I'm 100% sure I did well on the subnetting.

Maybe the L2 stuff is a good idea. I was confused a little about what they were asking when a switch doesn't have a MAC address in its table. I saw that question a few times. I know the computer would send out an ARP message, so it would have to go to every other port in order to send the broadcast and know what the destination ARP is.
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've said this before and I'll say it again.. I'm a big fan of the "sh ip os int" command when it comes to the ICND1 exam.

I'm a big believer in the Boson test exams, but if there is something better, I will buy it. I dont wanna spend $150 and go in and fail.
    I was confused a little about what they were asking when a switch doesn't have a MAC address in its table. I saw that question a few times

Definately be careful on these type of questions. They can be worded in the sense that the MAC address frame is being sent from a source or a destination. Recall that the host connected to the switchport imprints it's mac address on that port---but then again, if you configure port security to allow more than one mac address on the switchport, it changes everything.
    Oh, the answer is, if the CAM table does'nt have the mac address in it, it does the flood thingy
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    mikeybinec wrote: »
    I've said this before and I'll say it again.. I'm a big fan of the "sh ip os int" command when it comes to the ICND1 exam.

I'm a big believer in the Boson test exams, but if there is something better, I will buy it. I dont wanna spend $150 and go in and fail.

Definately be careful on these type of questions. They can be worded in the sense that the MAC address is being sent from a source or a destination. Recall that the host connected to the switchport imprints it's mac address on that port---but then again, if you configure port security to allow more than one mac address on the switchport, it changes everything

That command helped a lot, I agree.

I can't afford much. The exam and all the materials I've used are free since I'm going to WGU.
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sh ip int br is also useful to check interface state and addresses, up and up being both layer 1 & 2 functioning correctly
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    xnx wrote: »
    Sh ip int br is also useful to check interface state and addresses, up and up being both layer 1 & 2 functioning correctly

The guy from CBT Nuggets ingrained that one into my head. Helped me with a few questions.
  • Options
    SyliceSylice Member Posts: 100
    markulous wrote: »
    The guy from CBT Nuggets ingrained that one into my head. Helped me with a few questions.

The only time you fail is when you give up.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□

Maybe the L2 stuff is a good idea. I was confused a little about what they were asking when a switch doesn't have a MAC address in its table. I saw that question a few times. I know the computer would send out an ARP message, so it would have to go to every other port in order to send the broadcast and know what the destination ARP is.

Watch out for vlans in this type of question. The arp is going to be limited to interfaces in the same vlan.

You were close so you are certainly on the right track. Don't rush the retake.
    It sounds like you did more videos and labbing. I strongly recommend reading at least one book. Watching videos are a great overview but they have their limits.

Good Luck on the retake.
  • Options
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    Watch out for vlans in this type of question. The arp is going to be limited to interfaces in the same vlan.

You were close so you are certainly on the right track. Don't rush the retake.
    It sounds like you did more videos and labbing. I strongly recommend reading at least one book. Watching videos are a great overview but they have their limits.

Good Luck on the retake.

Good advice.

I definitely did watch out for VLANs on those questions. I believe all of them were in the same VLAN since they didn't specify anything.

I have Odom's book so maybe I'll run through that a little more.
  • Options
    Sylice wrote: »
    The only time you fail is when you give up.

Very true.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm sorry to hear that icon_sad.gif if you want, PM me we can study together I'm taking my CCENT in October. How were the simulation questions (not breaking NDA)
  • Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey man check out Lammle's ICND1/ICND2 book. It comes with coverage of both exams and has access to MicroNuggets, and there are more practice tests. Plus you didnt list a network simulator. His book comes with a download for a Simulator that follows the hands on labs. Its not the best simulator, but will get you thought especially if you do not have access to packet tracer or real equipment. -Good luck!
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    My time management was pretty good. I had about 20 minutes left when I finished.

The objectives just seem pretty vague for me to really focus on anything.

100-101 ICND1 - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

Expand the topics to see the specific sub-topics covered under each main topic. You should be able to compare that with how you felt answering certain topics and figure out which topics you need to go back and study up on.

Schedule it again in a couple weeks or so, study your weak areas, and then go back and pass it this time.

EDIT: Your biggest focus should be Lan switching technologies and IP routing technologies. You scored 55% and 50% respectively, and those two combined make up ~46% of the test material, so that is roughly 20% of your grade gone right there.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sh ip os int only works when OSPF is active. The sh ip int brief should always work, you can use just sh ip int bri if there are no ISDN interfaces. Stay with it man, real networking isn't easy but what you learn will pay off in the long run
  • Options
    Hey man check out Lammle's ICND1/ICND2 book. It comes with coverage of both exams and has access to MicroNuggets, and there are more practice tests. Plus you didnt list a network simulator. His book comes with a download for a Simulator that follows the hands on labs. Its not the best simulator, but will get you thought especially if you do not have access to packet tracer or real equipment. -Good luck!

The network simulator I use is Packet Tracer. I put that in the OP but thank you, though.
    Heero wrote: »
    100-101 ICND1 - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

Expand the topics to see the specific sub-topics covered under each main topic. You should be able to compare that with how you felt answering certain topics and figure out which topics you need to go back and study up on.

Schedule it again in a couple weeks or so, study your weak areas, and then go back and pass it this time.

EDIT: Your biggest focus should be Lan switching technologies and IP routing technologies. You scored 55% and 50% respectively, and those two combined make up ~46% of the test material, so that is roughly 20% of your grade gone right there.

Ah perfect! I couldn't find that for some reason. That's exactly what I need. Maybe I'll shoot for 9/20 for my retake. That should give me enough time.
  • Options
    Netwurk wrote: »
    Sh ip os int only works when OSPF is active. The sh ip int brief should always work, you can use just sh ip int bri if there are no ISDN interfaces. Stay with it man, real networking isn't easy but what you learn will pay off in the long run

Thanks. I don't have much networking experience so it's all new and challenging to me.
  • Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good catch markulous - lesson, dont reply in a rush haha.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Options
    Good catch markulous - lesson, dont reply in a rush haha.

icon_thumright.gif It's all good.