Options

Amazon Web Services Interview

Company: Amazon Web Services
Title: Operations Systems Engineer

Has anyone interviewed with Amazon or AWS before? I've been contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview and just wanted to do my due diligence to prepare myself for it. Most of my questions/concerns can likely be addressed on that first call, but I just wanted to reach out to see if anyone could offer some insight.

From the research I've done on the interwebs it seems like a pretty fast paced environment. What worries me is the high rate of turn over and the work/life balance complaints that are prevalent on Glassdoor reviews. Unfortunately most of these reviews are for software engineering roles working for an entirely different business unit so I doubt they are very applicable to me.
On the plus side, the pay should be about what I am looking for (I likely won't accept less than $95k but would like closer to $115k), I will get to explore a new city and be exposed to the west coast lifestyle. Also I think Amazon would be the highlight of my resume thus far, maybe allowing me to break into the big tech companies, ie, Microsoft, Google.

Research also said that the interview process is pretty tough. The good news is it's a cleared position so I am not competing with everyone and their mother, but will likely still be tough to land.

Will keep you guys posted
Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
WGU MSISA
Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2

Comments

• Options
    XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    I read some of the interview questions postings on Glassdoor after I saw they had cleared openings in the DC area.

What I took from the discussions was to know the AWS catalog, have used AWS for a year, and know coding. AWS certified was a bonus. I was looking at the cloud architect positions.
  • Options
    Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
    I have a buddy who works there now. What he has told me is that the company is full of amazing intelligent people. Unless you are a senior and a master at what you do and have a degree, you will not earn more than 85K with a bonus. Be prepared for the behavioral questions too. everything on your resume will be questioned and questioned deeply. Don't BS or they will automatically place you in the Sh*t pile.

STUDY!!! and good luck dude.
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Process goes something like the following:

Usual phone screen, review of resume.
    Technical interview with hiring manager (you don't need to know all of the AWS services hardcore, but a solid overview is required).
    They will give you some AWS credits and a scenario to "lab" out with static credentials for them to check up with.
    In person interview (usually with the team you are supporting).
    Offer.

I would say if you have enough experience you should be able to command $95k at the entry level SA position. AWS guys/gals are usually really sharp.
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    Xavor wrote: »
    What I took from the discussions was to know the AWS catalog, have used AWS for a year, and know coding. AWS certified was a bonus. I was looking at the cloud architect positions.
    Yeah, I am not sure this is a cloud arch type position but will definitely do my best to learn the AWS stack.

you will not earn more than 85K with a bonus.

I hope that is not the case because I doubt I will be moving half way around the world for something I could make at home. Not to mention it would cut my current income in half. I'm already expecting to take a pay cut, just not that much. Also I worked with a guy who left for Amazon back in March. I am not sure if he is with AWS or another business unit but he received north of $110k and we performed near identical job roles, though he has many more years in than I.

I would say if you have enough experience you should be able to command $95k at the entry level SA position. AWS guys/gals are usually really sharp.
    This is what I am hoping for. I'm not sure if this is a universal truth but I tend to grow and learn faster when I am surrounded by intelligent, driven people.

Appreciate all the responses. I expect the recruiter to get back with me sometime today to setup the first phone conversation. Fingers crossed.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    [h=3]Job Description[/h] Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the leading cloud provider, providing virtualized infrastructure, storage, networking, messaging, and many other services to customers all over the world. AWS runs a globally distributed environment, operating at massive levels of scale. Businesses, from startups to enterprises, run their operations and applications on AWS’s multi-tenant infrastructure. Governmental organizations are also looking to and depending on AWS for cloud solutions and services. AWS is looking for a hands-on Operations Manager to support Amazon Web Services’ US Government focused offerings. We have high standards for our computer systems as well as our employees: our systems are highly reliable, highly available, and turn scale into an advantage for our business and an asset to our customers; our employees are super smart, driven to serve customers, and fun to work with. The successful System Engineer joining the AWS team will do much more than track changes and manage a ticket queue. Their team will be instrumental in deploying, operating, and scaling a massive always-on distributed system that is part of an entirely new software development approach. We are looking for a seasoned System Engineers to join our energetic, hard-driving, and passionate team and tackle the unique challenges of massive scale.
    [h=3]Basic Qualifications[/h] - 6+ years of Service Operations experience in a related industry
    - Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent
    - Hands-on experience managing efforts in Windows/Unix environments, distributed systems and/or developing large-scale web applications as well as strong understanding of database technology including MYSQL
    - Experience with current web technologies
    - Proven experience working with senior leadership and experience defining and delivering on a product roadmap

This position requires the applicant selected to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance with Sensitive Compartmented Information (TS/SCI) eligibility and access. A US Government administered polygraph examination will be required. TS/SCI eligibility is not required to start; however, the applicant selected will be subject to a Single-Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified national security information. Applicants with a current SSBI, SBPR, or PPR, may be eligible for crossover in accordance with ICPG 704.4.

[h=3]Preferred Qualifications[/h] - Computer Science fundamentals in data structures, algorithm design and problem solving
    - Track record for being detail-oriented with a demonstrated ability to self-motivate and follow-through on projects
    - Strong customer focus, ownership, urgency and drive
    - Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical individuals
    - Familiarity with Linux
    - Experience with agile methodologies
    - A solid grasp of networking fundamentals, preferably including hands-on experience with load balancers, switches, routers, etc
    WGU MSISA
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I interviewed with Amazon last year for a cleared position.

It was an all day event in Seattle. I think I interviewed with 5 or 6 different people.
    There were technical knowledge interviews and personality interviews.

I was applying for a position primarily working as an AD engineer, but they do tell you that you will be expected to help out in other areas. So on one of the technical interviews they ask me a lot of random things about AD, and then they ask what do I feel my biggest strength was. So of course I say AD and virtualization. Turns out this guy is a Microsoft MVP and AD expert. He proceeds to ask me all these random questions about AD. Most of which I was able to answer but man did this guy know his stuff. I didnt BS him at all. If I didnt know, I told him I didnt know, but I know where I could find the answer.

They also take you out to lunch and this is also an interview. They want to know how you act socially.

I had another tech interview which was all about coding. I told them that I had limited experience coding. So they said thats fine. Write out in pseudo code how you could solve this problem. I think they wanted to see how you react to a problem which you don't have a lot of experience in and how you get from point A to B.

In the end the job I was interviewing for was offered to someone else a couple of days before I even interviewed. Amazon likes to interview to see if you are a right fit for their company, not just that job. So they offered me another job which did not require a clearance. I had to decline it though.

Let me know if you have any questions about the process. I'll do my best to answer.
  • Options
    I can't remember if I +1 this already but thank you. This is helpful. I really don't know if I should study AWS topics or go through my resume and study everything on it.
    I haven't heard from the recruiter since last Wednesday when I asked her to simply give me a heads up when I the interviewing team is going to contact me. Will follow up at the one week mark.
    WGU MSISA
  • Options
    Just a quick update...

I was contacted by a second Amazon recruiter and interviewed for a position in Herndon, VA. It went okay but I received an email stating they were going to pass. I think it was either my lack of exchange experience or mentioning I knew someone on their current team. I was on the fence of whether or not to mention my history with him but I was curious to verify if it was him or not. Lesson learned, I suppose.

The interview wasn't anything crazy. FSMO roles, DNS zones, some back up questions and alot of open ended questions, ie, "tell me about a time when you were under a lot of pressure". That's about all. Honestly I thought it went well. There was an awkward moment when I mentioned that I would like to transition from operations and support and into E&I. He replied that everything had already been built out. My reply: "Oh.. Okay."

I followed up with the original recruiter and updated her on what all has transpired and she said she would check on everything and get back with me. So there is still a possibility but not very likely...Alwell.

Best of luck to anyone else interviewing with Amazon and thanks for the advice and support from all the members who replied.
    WGU MSISA