Options

Passed 200-120

cjl0749cjl0749 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed the 200-120 exam on Wednesday and wanted to share what I used for preparation:
  • Bulk of knowledge came from the Net Academy classes that I took at community college
  • Lammle's for filling in the knowledge gaps
  • Home lab for further labbing and exploration
  • Boson and Cisco practice exams
Although I took the Net Acad classes our curriculum was based on the older CCNA test so it didn't cover EIGRP, Etherchannel, HSRP (and the other router redundancy protocols) and IPv6 but did provide a lot of hands on time with the equipment. That's where Lammle's book came in and I also used the practice tests to figure out what I needed to spend more time on. Speaking of practice tests, I found that the Cisco practice exams were closer to the actual test (especially in terms of Layer 2 switching). I hope this info is helpful for someone, on to CCNA Security!! icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass icon_thumright.gif Perhaps I will see you in the CCNA Security boards. Good luck with your studies!
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    fitzybhoyfitzybhoy Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cjl0749 wrote: »
    I passed the 200-120 exam on Wednesday and wanted to share what I used for preparation:
    • Bulk of knowledge came from the Net Academy classes that I took at community college
    • Lammle's for filling in the knowledge gaps
    • Home lab for further labbing and exploration
    • Boson and Cisco practice exams
    Although I took the Net Acad classes our curriculum was based on the older CCNA test so it didn't cover EIGRP, Etherchannel, HSRP (and the other router redundancy protocols) and IPv6 but did provide a lot of hands on time with the equipment. That's where Lammle's book came in and I also used the practice tests to figure out what I needed to spend more time on. Speaking of practice tests, I found that the Cisco practice exams were closer to the actual test (especially in terms of Layer 2 switching). I hope this info is helpful for someone, on to CCNA Security!! icon_thumright.gif

Congrats on the pass.

I'm surprised that your that your college course didn't cover EIGRP. My college course in 09 followed the older CCNA exam, which at that time was covered by Lammle v6. I since went to uni and we used CCNP, some of which has now dropped to the current CCNA R&S exam, so the crossover has been pretty smooth. Sitting my test on Friday, feeling confident, but fingers crossed.
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I didn't want to say anything about how odd it was not to go over the once Cisco only EIGRP in your course. I could see not going through RIP, but not EIGRP. Either way, at least you learned it. My college course was under the older exam and we went over RIPv1, RIPv2, EIGRP, & OSPF routing protocols. Also, fitzybhoy, I wish you well on your exam.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    cjl0749cjl0749 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Doyen wrote: »
    I didn't want to say anything about how odd it was not to go over the once Cisco only EIGRP in your course. I could see not going through RIP, but not EIGRP. Either way, at least you learned it. My college course was under the older exam and we went over RIPv1, RIPv2, EIGRP, & OSPF routing protocols. Also, fitzybhoy, I wish you well on your exam.

Yes it was very strange and surprised me when I was taking the practice exams but I found it was pretty easy to learn. And yes you will definitely see me on the Security forums! icon_cheers.gif

Good luck fitzybhoy you'll do great!!
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, i was in Netacad from '09-'10. It didnt have etherchannel and Hot Standby when I got out of College and looked into taking CCNA again. That's the main reason why I am doing the two exam route
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University