Options

EIGRP v6

fitzybhoyfitzybhoy Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm currently labbing ahead of my exam on Friday. According to my book, Odom, the EIGRPv6 Router-id is optional. However, when I configure EIRGP v6 on my interfaces they do not send hellos. I drop to global config and enter ipv6 eigrp AS # and still nothing.

A show run command shows EIGRP v6 in shutdown mode. It only becomes active when I configure a router ID.

Am I doing something wrong or is the book wrong?

Comments

• Options
    atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    Do a no shutdown in the eigrp process, by default it starts in shutdown mode in older IOS versions.
  • Options
    davenulldavenull Member Posts: 173 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As far as I remember, router-id for eigrp (both v4 and v6) are only significant for external routes. However, a router still has to pick a router-id to start the process and if the router doesn't have any IPv4 interfaces configured (loopback or not) it can't start the EIGRP process.
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't read Odom's book but I think what he meant was that if you have a operational ip4 address on the router you don't need a router-id.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Atorven is correct. Do a "no shut" under your eigrp v6 process.
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    davenull wrote: »
    As far as I remember, router-id for eigrp (both v4 and v6) are only significant for external routes. However, a router still has to pick a router-id to start the process and if the router doesn't have any IPv4 interfaces configured (loopback or not) it can't start the EIGRP process.

That's what it says in the books, yes, but in recent code they've added the "router id as a loop prevention mechanism on external routes" feature to internal as well.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    EIGRP for IPv6 has been an ongoing work in progress for Cisco, I think they have it mostly right now but I've seen big differences in the IOS versions that support it through the years. I doubt for the CCNA that they'll test too heavily on the nuances of the ID commands, good luck with your studies man
  • Options
    fitzybhoyfitzybhoy Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks to all who replied. Obviously anything can pop up in the exam, but I was surprised at how little IPv6 was featured on ICND 1 considering how many chapters they devote to it in the book. Just covering all the bases here.