Options

Corporate jobs vs City, State, Fed Gov Jobs

izzyiz426izzyiz426 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone i have graduated from college ( BA. IT degree in may of this year and currently looking for a job. I just want to get a general understanding of what people enjoy more and what are to pros and cons of each work environment? My mother and her friends advice me to join the NYPD and then go into there tech department. Im aware of the benefits but not sure if this is the correct path for me. Is government jobs better or Corporate jobs? Excited to see results!!

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Pros and cons to either. I have done both (current working for the State) and I think ultimately I prefer government work. Things to expect though is pay freezes, older technology, and often a lack of resources. Also often with government jobs there is a test or some other process to go through in order to get the position. Given the state of things I would apply anywhere and everywhere not placing all my eggs in one basic. Experience is experience regardless where you get it.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Corporate all the way for me. Sure you get some benefits and security with the government, but you'll build your career a lot faster with new technology hoping around the private sector for a few years at least. Especially if you are in NYC and can get into the startup scene.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    So you would choose a startup over fortune 500? My dream job is to work for either federal gov or fortune 500. So i'm not sure which way to go. Right now i signed up for this program for under privileged young adults and they teach you technical skill. They then place you into a large company. I'm not sure if i am wasting my time or doing the right thing. The program is called year up btw!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Fortune 500 has it's perks and so do small companies.

Smaller companies you get a bigger piece of the pie and can grow in many more areas. Larger companies usually have a very strict structure where you will work on one thing only. Smaller companies, especially in the startup sector, usually have much more laid back culture as well.

Fortune 500 companies look great on the resume so the name recognition helps down the line. They usually have the money to buy the latest and greatest gear so you'll get hands on the newest stuff. Usually stable employment as the companies are well established.

Personally I've started to definitely enjoy the smaller companies more. Less corporate red tape and laid back atmosphere. At this point in your career, the very beginning, I'd just be more worried about finding any job then being too picky about where it is though. Down the road you'll have the luxury to pick and choose where you want to be.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    As others have stated pros and cons for either. Get your experience now, and worry about where you land when you can afford to be picky, and have some years under your belt. I have worked both corporate and government, and I say that I enjoy government a lot more. I am lucky enough to be around new technology, and the training opportunities are second to none.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Im working for a school district and the benefits are amazing.
    But the technology is old, certs don't matter here, and the politics are as bad as ever.
    I still prefer it over my corporate jobs though...
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    My experience...

Corporate pros:
    more pay
    theres room to move up

Corp cons:
    VERY busy
    due to budget, sometimes, you get old devices

Fed jobs pros:
    more relax
    new devices so you get to learn new technologies
    job is secure due to our tax money (keep printing)

Fed jobs cons:
    it takes time to move up (if they tell you, you will move up, it will take more than 3 months)
    pay is a little less compare to corporate.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    olaHalo wrote: »
    Im working for a school district and the benefits are amazing.
    But the technology is old, certs don't matter here, and the politics are as bad as ever.
    I still prefer it over my corporate jobs though...

Do you think that is due to the much smaller environment and atmosphere compared with a megacorporation? I'm with one of the worlds largest financial firms (after leaving their even larger competitor) and honestly I'm kind of sick of it. I feel out of place and like I don't fit. Strangely enough at my previous company, which was larger, it felt like a smaller environment and I was tight with our team. I'm thinking I may want to move to a smaller company.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    I was just thinking about the name of the company would really help my resume in the long run. What is your opinion on the nypd thing?
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As a new grad with no IT job I'd look more at getting in anywhere then being concerned about the name that will appear on your resume for the next job. Keep your eye on the 50 meter target...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff