Options

2 DVD files

webspiderwebspider Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
I have these 2 DVD files -
1)Windows Server 2012 R2 with Update (x64) - DVD (English)

2)Windows Server 2012 R2 VL with Update (x64) - DVD (English)

but can't understand which one to use to install the latest Windows Server 2012?
Are both these files the same? What does VL indicate?

Sir please help me .
Thanks & Regards

Comments

• Options
    pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    VL = volume licence and you'll probably need a licence key for the other one.
  • Options
    Hi
    Thanks pjd007. So do you mean that I don't need license to install the VL version but require a license for the other version?
    Which one do you suggest for home lab purpose to create VMs in VMWARE or Virtual Machine?
    Also I have Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 r2(SP1) as dual boot in my laptop. So how do I practice labs? I forgot the login password for 2008 and so cant access it and also i cant identify the partition where i installed the 2008 r2. Now I fear if i mistakenly delete the wrong partition then all my old files and datas will be gone. What to do??

Is it better to create VMs and practice on them or should I install a Windows Server 2012 as a separate partition? I tried using NT offline password Recovery & Hiren boot CD but none worked this time remove my old 2008 r2 password.
    So can I just make a bootable CD with the above "Windows Server 2012 R2 VL with Update (x64).iso" file and then run the CD to uninstall the 2008 r2 and install a fresh copy of 2012 Server or Datacenter?

In gist,
    1)should I create VMs (in vmplayer or Virtual Box) and practice on them?
    2)Which .iso file from the above should I select for creating VMs(Virtual Machines) or to install a fresh copy over 2008 r2?
    I have a Dell laptop with intel i3 2.3 Ghz processor with 6 GB RAM.

Thanks in advance
    With Regards
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Volume License still requires a key. Snippet from the interwebs:
    They are sold to Corporate Channel/Customers who in need of a sudden amount of Licenses for to run the same Operating System and Version on a bunch of computers. There two different version of Volume Licenses Keys:
    - the MAK (Multiple Activation Key), which will activate a bunch of Computers with the exact same Product Key permanently to the extend amount of bought Licenses
    - the VL (Volume License) Key with will be activating Computers using a KMS Server for a period of up to max. 180 days

VL has other benefits such as downgrade rights that are beyond the scope of your question so I won't bore you with details.

Which license do you have?
  • Options
    Hi cyberguypr,
    I haven't checked yet but can you plz answer my other questions as well?
    Can you guide me if i need to install vm's to practice or a separate partition containing windows 2012 server and then create VM's within it with clients OS like win 7,win 2k8 server and also server 2k12.
    i know the question maybe foolish but hope u understand that i am a beginner.
    Thanks & Regards
  • Options
    webspider wrote: »
    Hi cyberguypr,
    I haven't checked yet but can you plz answer my other questions as well?
    Can you guide me if i need to install vm's to practice or a separate partition containing windows 2012 server and then create VM's within it with clients OS like win 7,win 2k8 server and also server 2k12.
    i know the question maybe foolish but hope u understand that i am a beginner.
    Thanks & Regards
    Your best option is to upgrade Win7 to Win 8.1 (best way to do it is backup your data first then format your disk so you can get rid of the dual boot and reclaim the disk space) then you can run your VM's from your PC (Win 8.1 can run Hyper-V ie. you just install the feature as you would on Win 12k server).

If you want to keep the Win2k8 image you have on your dual boot there are tools available to convert physical machines to virtual so google that if you want.

You'll also want an additional SSD drive if you want decent performance to run your VM's from as your single disk will be a bottleneck.
  • Options
    Hi
    I don't want to upgrade windows 7 as it is working fine. All I want to change is the windows 2008 r2 partition. So please advice me accordingly.
    Out of 2012 and windows 8.1 which will be better as main OS for practicing MCSA? I mean the host OS ,and then within it should I create Virtual Machines with either Oracle V box or VMplayer?

Thanks & Regards
  • Options
    If you're sticking with Win7 then your best bet is to either use VMWare to run your VM's or upgrade your Win2K8 partition to Win2012 and run them off that, I'd go with the latter as you'll use Hyper-V more which is relevant for the exams.
  • Options
    BackToSchoolBackToSchool Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with pjd007. I have a dual boot Win 7 / Win 2012 R2 desktop. On the 2012 R2 partition I am running a couple of VMs through Hyper-V. I would suggest having a Win 2012 R2 member server VM to switch between the full GUI and Core and also for just running a Core environment. The other VMs are Win 8.1 and Win 2008 R2. Just play around and lab lab lab. You can place VHD's on Win 7 partition and access them on the Hyper-V instance running on the 2012 R2 partition if space is an issue.

My desktop has a 450Gb HDD and 12GB RAM which I do find lacking sometimes. So bare that in mind. I don't even try to have all the VMs running at the same time :)
  • Options
    Hi pjd007,
    I am not trying to stick with Win7 but what i mean is that -that is the stable partition in my computer ,so i don't want to jeopardize that by doing experiments. I am also unsure if it is possible to upgrade my 2nd partition which has win 2k8 r2 server as OS because I can't log into it as I have forgotten the login password nor I know which partition to delete. I checked "Disk Management" from within Win7 to see which partition is allocated to which OS but it is confusing as I am not sure still whether to delete D or E drive partition as my E drive show primary but again that also conatains lots of valuable files which I can't afford to loose nor I have patience to back it up to some other external drive.(around 187 GB of HDD space) I have external drives but that too contains lots of files ,so i cant use the external drive either as a usb drive to install either Win8 or Win 2012 R2 as OS.
    I will be grateful if someone if someone can advice me what to do in such a situation?
    Can I install "Win2012 R2 server" over my old partition of "Win2k8 r2" without logging in to it and without loosing any data from my D or E drive ?
    Is there any way out please tell me?

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    Hi pjd007,
    I am not trying to stick with Win7 but what i mean is that -that is the stable partition in my computer ,so i don't want to jeopardize that by doing experiments. I am also unsure if it is possible to upgrade my 2nd partition which has win 2k8 r2 server as OS because I can't log into it as I have forgotten the login password nor I know which partition to delete. I checked "Disk Management" from within Win7 to see which partition is allocated to which OS but it is confusing as I am not sure still whether to delete D or E drive partition as my E drive show primary but again that also conatains lots of valuable files which I can't afford to loose nor I have patience to back it up to some other external drive.(around 187 GB of HDD space) I have external drives but that too contains lots of files ,so i cant use the external drive either as a usb drive to install either Win8 or Win 2012 R2 as OS.
    I will be grateful if someone if someone can advice me what to do in such a situation?
    Can I install "Win2012 R2 server" over my old partition of "Win2k8 r2" without logging in to it and without loosing any data from my D or E drive ?
    Is there any way out please tell me?

Thanks in advance
    I've not setup a dual boot for a while nor looked for tools to crack windows passwords (though I'm sure there's plenty out there including free ones) but can't you access the Win2k8 partition when logged into your Win7 PC ?

You may need to take ownership of the folders which you want to access.

IMO the simplest solution for you is to backup the Win2k8 data, delete that partition then either in place upgrade to Win8.1 or backup all your data and format the disk so you can do a clean install of Win8.1 (that's what I'd do), you will have to migrate from Win7 at some point so why not do it now !?!?

Not being funny but if you can't get your head around doing this then you probably want to look at doing some desktop exams before looking at server 2012 MCSA/MCSE.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hi pjd007,
    I checked "Disk Management" from within Win7 to see which partition is allocated to which OS but it is confusing as I am not sure still whether to delete D or E drive partition as my E drive show primary but again that also conatains lots of valuable files which I can't afford to loose nor I have patience to back it up to some other external drive.

Consider this for a minute then read on.
    "lots of valuable files which I can't afford to loose nor I have patience to back"

Your off to a bad start here. Step back relax and figure out how to back up what you do have.

Nobody here can tell you to install a new system on a partition you can't identify and confirm you won't loose your valuable data.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    ^ superb advice. Secure your stuff before you experiment. Local backup and remote encrypted one will protect you pretty well. In the long run you'll be happier and sleep better at night knowing that your data is safe and can sustain hardware and software failures.

If you are so worried about losing stuff then you'll need a second machine to play with.
  • Options
    Hi pjd007,It is funny and interesting to note that you are advising me to do some desktop exams when you yourself don't know much about hardware or dual booting as it seems from your answers!! icon_lol.gif
    What's more you are asking me if i can access the Win2k8 partition when logged into win7 pc.
    lol
    How funny indeed !!
    Do it yourself first before you preach. Sorry for being a little harsh but instead of helping me to clear my doubts you are discouraging me from studying for MCSA.
    And you are a poor reader as well. I already repeated several times that I can't enter the win2k8 partition in-spite of having various free pwd cracking tools as they are not working for some reasons which earlier used to on the same partition.
  • Options
    Hi pjd007,It is funny and interesting to note that you are advising me to do some desktop exams when you yourself don't know much about hardware or dual booting as it seems from your answers!! icon_lol.gif
    What's more you are asking me if i can access the Win2k8 partition when logged into win7 pc.
    lol
    How funny indeed !!
    Do it yourself first before you preach. Sorry for being a little harsh but instead of helping me to clear my doubts you are discouraging me from studying for MCSA.
    And you are a poor reader as well. I already repeated several times that I can't enter the win2k8 partition in-spite of having various free pwd cracking tools as they are not working for some reasons which earlier used to on the same partition.
    LOL preaching, I was just trying to help you but essentially you're asking some basic desktop questions in a predominantly server 2012 forum ! :)

As I said I haven't setup a dual boot for a very long time (no need) so I don't know first hand off the top of my head what you can and can't access plus I haven't forgotten any of my login passwords recently so I haven't needed to use any cracking tools and if they're not working then why don't you pursue that issue on the vendors forum !

I've rebuilt hundreds of PC's and all my data is backed up so if I was in front of your setup I wouldn't even be wasting people's time on here with this.

Good luck.