Options

Windows software that doesn't show up under Programs and Features

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
And, I've never though of this before, however I'm working with a vendor and their software doesn't show up under Programs and Features (this is Windows 7 Enterprise, 32bit desktop). I'm upgrading to their newer version of software and basically just overlaying .exe and .dlls they have sent me. Program lives under C:\.

I'm just wondering why the program doesn't show up under Programs and Features. Is it not setup in the Registry?

I've Googled around and could not find an answer.
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    chronos42chronos42 Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We have some software from our (Japanese) parent company that lives in C:\ and doesn't show itself in Programs and Features. It's second-rate software that uses its own installer and likely doesn't bother to set itself up properly in Program Files or in the registry.

This probably doesn't answer your question as to "why", but just noting that you're not alone, and it's likely just due to being written poorly.
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    The software is a type of XML parser that converts to SQL. The external company doesn't provide a Windows Installer, so I'm thinking that is why it doesn't show up under Prorams and Features. Also, the one .dll file that it uses isn't being used by any other program, so maybe that is another reason why it doesn't show up there?
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    I have kinds of software that I run on my windows machines that don't show up in the registry or the program files, the don't have a windows unistaller either, often times, they will come with there own uninstall program. It is really not that unusual for 3 party programs to not be wrote within windows registry specifications.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Is the software actually installed? Or is it a live/portable version?