Options

I'm setting up a Cisco CCNA lab, what equipment would you recommend?

SyliceSylice Member Posts: 100
What lab equipment (cables, switches, routers, etc...) would you recommend for beginners to get a solid grasp on cisco networking?

Comments

• Options
    StonedHitmanStonedHitman Member Posts: 120
    This is what I got:
    x2 2651xm routers
    x2 2950 switches
    x1 3550 Layer 3 switch

You don't need to worry about layer 3 switches though. Anyways, you can't go wrong with 2600xm, 1841, or 2811 routers imo. For switches, you can look into 2950 or 2960, 2950's are really cheap, got mine for $25 each. Should get wic2t or t1 card (wic-1dsu-t1-v2). T1 card will require a t1 crossover cable.

As for cables, you'll need straight through, crossover, and serial cables(db60, smart serial, and/or t1 crossover) console cables should come with your routers/switches but keep an eye out just in case.

You might also want to consider a rack, if you get one, you'll need rack ears
    Currently reading Network Warrior
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you want to go with a physical lab I recommend the 1841 routers. Probably 2950 switches.
    Several crossover cables to connect the switches together.
    You will want serial links for the routers so probably Wic2t smart serial cards.
    Cisco WIC-2T Back To Back Smart Serial Cable for connecting the lab routers.

If you have time and patience buy them all separate. You will learn as much shopping for them as you will using them.
    Try to get a copy of Cisco Packet Tracer. Real equipment is great but you can put together ideas much faster in packet tracer and then repeat them on the real equipment.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    If you are gonna spend money anyway, why not buy equipments that will cover your CCNP as well. Below are the equipments I'd recommend:

2x2801 Routers
    1x2600xm Router
    2x3550 Switches
    1x2950 Switch
    3 Pairs of DCE/DTE cables
    4 Pairs of Straight-thru cables
    4 Pairs of Crossover Cables
    3xUSB to Serial adapter dongles
    1 Decent Serge Protector with multiple outlets.

Make sure that the routers have Serial ports or you can easily buy them from ebay pretty cheap. ABome mentioned gears will take care of ou CCNA as well as CCNP if you decide to pursue. GOOD LUCK.