Options

Is a career in web development worth it?

TXNTXN Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am currently in school pursuing a degree in Computer Info Systems. My goal is to become a web developer. I spent 4 years in the Army doing networking/Cisco but did not particularly enjoy it.

On the other hand I do really like web development. I spent my younger years making several little sites with HTML/CSS (though I know I'll have to take it to the next level and learn a few more languages to make a career out if it). It's just more creative than networking, imo.

For those of you with more career experience... Is pursuing web development a good choice? I'm just so scared when I get out of school in 3-4 years there will be no market for it. I'd pursue software development, but my degree is not in CompSci and, to be very honest, higher levels of math required for that degree and all the people going into programming intimidate me. I'm 23 and just starting school...

Thoughts? Would love some advice.

Comments

• Options
    moe12moe12 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you enjoy what you do, then yes it will be worth it. Web Development is not going anywhere anytime soon. Once you get your feet wet, you will know exactly what you can see yourself doing for a long period of time. My only question for you is once you leave school you will have a degree correct? If the answer is yes, you will be fine.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If that's what you love, by all means go for it; but you're looking at unparalleled competition against outsourcing relative to any other sector in IT.
  • Options
    TXNTXN Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's what worries me too. What makes someone choose me over someone overseas who may be charging way less? The other option would be to work with a company or some type of group.

I'm confident that I will enjoy web dev for years to come, but I still need to make a living.

Thank you for your input. It's appreciated.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I think it's an excellent career choice, but you need to good. I mean *really* good! There is always a shortage of good web developers who can hit the ground running.

Learn PHP, Python, Node.JS, and other hot languages, build a portfolio. It's an amazing career choice and it's a growing field. Yes there are competition from everywhere, but if you're good (excellent) you have nothing to worry about.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I think it's an excellent career choice, but you need to good. I mean *really* good! There is always a shortage of good web developers who can hit the ground running.

Learn PHP, Python, Node.JS, and other hot languages, build a portfolio. It's an amazing career choice and it's a growing field. Yes there are competition from everywhere, but if you're good (excellent) you have nothing to worry about.

I agree it's an amazing career path.