Options

VMware product updates release today including vSphere ESXi 5.5 update 2

iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
I'm not going to post all the links but here is the vSphere ESXi 5.5 update 2 release notes:

https://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere5/doc/vsphere-vcenter-server-55u2-release-notes.html

What is your testing process? How soon does everyone plan to upgrade their production systems?
2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
2020: GCIP | GCIA 
2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
2022: GMON | GDAT
2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depends. In my previous job we were still running 5.0. I think they still are. Nothing was broken so why adding more issues (potentially).

It comes down to 'Resolved' and 'Known' issues and your environment whether fixing some issues introduces new ones ;) Not to mention 'unknown' issues.

I am particularly careful when using ISCSI. VMware seem to have the habit of introducing nasty bugs with each major release (started at 4.1) so I tend to wait and let other people play 'beta-ga' tester :D

I do see one resolved issue with 5.5u2 which is quite interesting. You now seem to be able to edit vm-10 VMs with the c# client. I can see some people upgrading just for that.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    My last place was on 4.0 until May this year when we replaced the entire kit. Moved straight to 5.5 U1 as nothing was attached, so it wouldn't fall off.

At my new place, it is a mix of 5.1 and there are even some 3.5 still running, but they actually are serving a purpose that's about to phase them out.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    At my last few jobs there was a server or blade set aside for testing updates on. It was production hardware that would be evacuated for testing purposes. At my current job I have a dedicated test/dev environment but the hardware is so old it wouldn't support the latest software. I end up waiting a week or so and follow the community discussions about the patches.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    None of my environments are running 5.5 at this time, but I am going to at least upgrade vCenter from 5.1 to 5.5 before the end of the year. I will probably at least QA the Update 2 build, and install that everywhere unless we encounter issues during testing.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...