Options

MCSA 70-410 Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 Exam Help

TrinitynzxtTrinitynzxt Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Starting to study tonight for this exam. I know its going to be a long path for me as I'm not that much of a server guy but have been in IT for about 10 years (my new job as a NOC Engineer requires me to pass this exam by December). Will be using this thread for any questions I may come up with. I'm currently using Transcender practice tests to kind of use as a path. Taking the practice exam and then trying to learn the things I have gotten wrong on the exam through whatever I can find on the web.

My first question is on the exam itself. Transcender has questions where you have to take 10 things and interactively place them in order where of the 10 things maybe 3 or 4 do not belong / are wrong. Will there be interactive questions on the actual exam or is it simply multiple choice?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    Is there a way to install / use Hyper-V on a windows 7 desktop. Trying to learn hyper-v and have the option to run vm's. I heard that running a server with Hyper-V running in a vm like oracle box or vmware can cause problems. Really don't feel like reloading my machine to a trial version of Server 2012 so i can use hyper-v
  • Options
    pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is there a way to install / use Hyper-V on a windows 7 desktop. Trying to learn hyper-v and have the option to run vm's. I heard that running a server with Hyper-V running in a vm like oracle box or vmware can cause problems. Really don't feel like reloading my machine to a trial version of Server 2012 so i can use hyper-v
    As far as I know you need Win 8 (might even be 8.1, that's what I'm running) to install Hyper V on a PC.
  • Options
    pjd007 wrote: »
    As far as I know you need Win 8 (might even be 8.1, that's what I'm running) to install Hyper V on a PC.

That's what I was afraid of icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Paul6Paul6 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Trinity, you can find Windows 8.1 (free for 60 days) at the Technet Evaluation Center. You could also just install Server 2012 R2 (evaluation) which has an even longer trial period - 120 days.
  • Options
    Paul6Paul6 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You could even install the Windows 10 Technical Preview which runs until April 15th, 2015.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd go with 2012R2 over Win 8.1 if you're installing from scratch. I haven't looked, but I can't imagine that Windows 8 supports anywhere near all of the features of Hyper-V that Windows Server has.
  • Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I"m in the same boat as you . I my job is asking me to pass the exam before the end of the year. Right now I'm schedule to take the exam the first week of nov. The first time I tried i didnt pass it. I wasn't to upset on the score but after really thinking about it i did. Right now i'm study once again with 2 different books and doing the transcender exam test again. I keep telling myself I'm going to pass the exam... good luck on the exam.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Options
    I installed 2012 R2 on my laptop and using that as the test server. I have a domain created already. Hyper-v is set up for the most part. I have a domain controller named DC-01. Both the Hyper-v server (main server) and DC-01 are installed using the trial version of server 2012 R2 downloaded from technet. Now I'm trying to create DC-02 and its giving me an error at the Windows setup screen saying- "Windows cannot find the Microsoft License Terms. Make sure the installation sources are valid and restart the installation."

Now I thought this was only an issue in VM Ware. I even did the VM Ware work around by creating the VM and selecting to add the os later and then going back in through settings and pointing to the .iso file. Note that this is the same .iso that created my main Hyper-v server and DC-01.

Any ideas on how to get by this annoyance.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds strange, you are sure it hasn't been corrupted in between installations?

Install HashCheck, go in to the properties of the ISO file and the Checksums tab and then google the SHA1 or MD5 result you get and you should see results that match your file hash.

If you do then you can rule out the ISO as a fault.
  • Options
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    Sounds strange, you are sure it hasn't been corrupted in between installations?

Install HashCheck, go in to the properties of the ISO file and the Checksums tab and then google the SHA1 or MD5 result you get and you should see results that match your file hash.

If you do then you can rule out the ISO as a fault.

File is not corrupt. Happens quite often with multiple different files. Some times it works some times it doesn't. I went through this when using VM Ware but was under the impression it didn't happen in Hyper-V. Well sure enough it does, and the VM Ware work around doesn't seem to work for Hyper-V.

Edit: Tried a few more times and now it worked so yea I don't know.