Options

Graduate Certificate for new field of IT/IS?

TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
I currently work in a Desktop Support/Junior Sys Admin role and was thinking about moving into the technical side of Information Assurance / Cyber Security so I figured going to school to obtain a Graduate / Postbaccalaureate certificate in either of the fields. But I'm not really sure if that's the best option. I have my BS in IT Managament, A+ & Security+ & 9 years of IT Support experience. Is a graduate certificate really something I should be going for with no experience in such a field, or should I look at a second bachelors or undergrad-certificate?

Also I know security is a broad field just like IT, but I'm not really sure of which part and route to take to get there. I'm interested in HBSS/Monitoring/Prevention type roles -- so more technical defensive I guess?
B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Search the job adds in your area for the types of positions you want. In my area, starting around mid level they are asking for a computer related bachelors and certifications such as CISSP, CISM, or some other cert and will start Masters or Graduate work preferred.

I am already partially into information security and my goal for the next year is to complete my bachelors and the CISSP. May also pick up an undergrad cert in Homeland Security and the SSCP along the way. Looking at starting graduate work in 2-3 years.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete