Options

Stanley CC Class October - December

j4g3rb0mb3dj4g3rb0mb3d Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
It appears that registration is about to go live for those of you who have been on the waitlist. I filled out the Google Docs form yesterday.

Is it bad that I put that I work full time, 40 hours a week on the Google Doc? See the copy of the email that was sent to me below. My company is not paying me to take this course, and I am merely pursuing this route because of my interest in virtualization, and its where I would like to see my career go.

Good Morning,
We are now registering for our VMware vSphere Course for the session below. If you choose not to enroll in this session but are still interested in taking this course, you will need to add your name back to our waitlist.
October Session: 10/21/2014 – 12/09/2014
However, before proceeding, please review the following information:
VMware training is only available to individuals who may be a student in full or part time education, unemployed, career changers or trying to improve their knowledge and are paying for the training themselves. It is not for companies or corporate entities to obtain training for their employees – those individuals must go to a commercial VMware training offering through a VMware authorized commercial training center.
State Authorization Compliance:
Federal and state regulations require that all institutions of higher education comply with existing state laws regarding distance learning. As these regulations are continuously evolving, Stanly Community College (SCC) makes every effort to maintain compliance where feasible. SCC works with the regulatory agencies in each state and US Territories to seek authorizations, exemptions, or permissions to continue to offer distance education programs, courses, and certificate programs to residents who wish to enroll in our distance learning education offerings. Admission of out of state resident applicants to an online degree, certificate program or individual online course offered by SCC, is dependent on the College’s ability to secure authorization from the applicant's state of residence. At this time, due to evolving changes in higher education regulations, SCC is unable to serve all of the students that are interested in our courses or programs. SCC will no longer be able to offer distance education online programs or courses for students residing in Alaska, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Wyoming. Additionally, students enrolled in programs or courses that require internships or supervised clinical placements will be unable to complete these activities in the states listed above.
If you are interested in taking this class, and you are paying your own tuition, please complete the form located here by Friday, September 12th. Once you are registered, we will send you information on how to go online to our website and submit your payment of $185.00 for the class and instructions on how to purchase the textbook. IF you are no longer interested in taking the class or wish to be removed from the wait list, please respond to this email stating that fact. Please be aware that the registration process could take as long as two weeks.
Here is the class information:
10/21/2014-12/09/2014 - VMware vSphere Course – Virtual Online Class
Important Information: Registration and Lab fees (total $185.00) due at registration. Textbook to be purchased prior to the start of class. This class is conducted entirely online. SCC is a Regional VMware IT Academy, and upon completion of the course, students will be eligible to sit for the VCP certification exam.
Let me know if you have any questions or need any further assistance.
Jana P. Kennedy
Stanly Community College

Comments

• Options
    pandoso360pandoso360 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had the same feeling when I answered that same question, but figured that since I'm paying for it and it's to improve my knowledge then it should be ok.
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one with that question. :)
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Basically anyone can register for the Stanly CC course. They just don't want a bunch of people from companies that have the money to pay for the sit in classes taking it. The IT Regional Academy is designed as a low cost alternative to those who can't really afford the sit in class.
  • Options
    At $3k-ish to be able to sit for a week long bootcamp, I'll never be able to afford that.
  • Options
    At $3k-ish to be able to sit for a week long bootcamp, I'll never be able to afford that.

I think many of us here can relate lol.
  • Options
    JS813JS813 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Got my email, looking forward to the start of the class!
  • Options
    Has anyone been able to pay for the class yet?
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When I took the class in Mar-May, I had a full-time and a part-time job. They just don't want companies paying for the class.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Has anyone been able to pay for the class yet?

No, I haven't been able to pay for the class yet. I've registered, but I'm still waiting for them to send the instructions.
  • Options
    Just heard back from Jana at Stanly CC, and she said "Hopefully by the end of the week" we'll be able to pay for the course.
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just heard back from Jana at Stanly CC, and she said "Hopefully by the end of the week" we'll be able to pay for the course.

Great, thanks for the info.
  • Options
    moe12moe12 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can someone post a link to the course for future reference?
  • Options
    CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    moe12 wrote: »
    Can someone post a link to the course for future reference?

VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage
  • Options
    GAB1900GAB1900 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I added my name to the waiting list, hopefully I can take the class early next year.

Anybody knows the format of the class? Is it live online or do they have videos that I can watch after work? I am in Texas, CST. Working full time, I need to make sure I will have the time for this.
  • Options
    sharanmahadevansharanmahadevan Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had asked the same question to Jana. This is the reply i got "It is self-guided so there are not specific times you have to be logged in".
  • Options
    From my understanding, you have to login on the first day of the class to give the college your VMware ID, but after that it is completely self-paced with videos and labbing. It should be ideal for those who work full time or for those who don't want to take a standard college class. It was ideal for me because I work 3rd shift, and am not available during "normal" class times.

Oh, BTW, I was just able to pay for the class.
  • Options
    The format is recorded videos (slide presentation style) and labs.
  • Options
    simonessimones Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all, this is my first post.

Three day ago I receved the email for registration to the course and I made using form.
    Now I'm waiting for the response with the instruction for the payment. I'm not resident in the united states and I will follow the course remotly.

In the meantime I sent an email to Jana to require information about the version of the vSphere on with the course is based. I received the confirmation that the version is 5.5 (aligned with VMWare requirements)

Reding other threads in the forum I noticed that someone suggesto don't buy the book. On this point I have a question: it's mandatory buy the book?
    I would buy only a book that I can use during the course and for prepare the VCP5-DCV exam. I want a book because my knowledge of spoken English is not perfect and I want something that permit me to explore the themes treated and then pass the laboratories

Regards

ps = sorry for any grammatical errors :)
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I'm taking the class currently, the class format, is modules that have anywhere from 2 to 5 videos per module with 1 to 2 labs per module. There is 12 total modules totalling 22 labs. it took me about 4 solid weekends of doing nothing but labbing to complete the course which I just finished on Sunday and that was taking a leisure pace.... if your devoted I'm sure it could take less time.

If you do finish early remember to login at-least once a week so you don't get dropped from the class.

A pointer, if you have a home-lab it's much easier to follow along cause you can re-do the labs in your home-lab and sink the concepts into your brain... This is what I did and it's helped me tremendously.
  • Options
    nashwannashwan Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am registered / paid up and am starting on 21st October. I am in the UK though and getting the book for the course seems remarkably expensive.

Do I even need it if I have something like Scott Lowe? If I do absolutely have to have it, can it be sourced at least in Europe?

Thanks

//Philip
  • Options
    The recorded videos are almost word for word every page of the official course book. I found them to be so boring I read the book instead. I really think its up to you if you want to purchase the book. Unfortunately I haven't read the Scott Lowe book, so I can't comment on that.
  • Options
    nashwannashwan Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks I won't bother then. I work on a VMware environment everyday and the course is mainly just to check the box so I can take the exam. Need to try and get it done to leave myself enough time to be able to sit the NSX exam without having to take the course!
  • Options
    mph_2010mph_2010 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have registered for this course, I'm very pleasure to join it.

I have some related questions, if there is someone who could answer me?

I just want to make sure that after finishing the online Vmware course at your collage ,the voucher that i will be using to enter VCP exam is valid outside US, because I am from Egypt.

and concerning the book, is it a requirement to take the examcleardot.gif or to take the course, because i read a lot that it's not necessary to buy the mentioned book. but i need to enure that it's not necessary for the exam also, because it ll cost a lot to deliver it to me.

and i need to ensure also about, the course will be for vsphere 5.1 or 5.5?
  • Options
    CiaranpCiaranp Member Posts: 7 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nashwan wrote: »
    Thanks I won't bother then. I work on a VMware environment everyday and the course is mainly just to check the box so I can take the exam. Need to try and get it done to leave myself enough time to be able to sit the NSX exam without having to take the course!

If you have that experience then you'll be fine without it, I have no ESXi experience, bought a poweredge server to lab and I read the mastering book, I'm on the current course and didn't buy the Stanly book (going by the recommendations of others) and finished the labs without any problems, they are written step for the step in the PDFs on what to do(very well written aswell). Obviously to pass the actual exam you'll need at least one book , but for the stanly course you don't need their one.
  • Options
    simonessimones Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mph_2010 wrote: »
    the course will be for vsphere 5.1 or 5.5?

I wrote to Jana about this point and she replied that the version of vshpere is 5.5
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Does anyone know if the videos are subtitled? I was wondering if I can get by without listening to the audible lectures since I have hearing loss, which could be a problem for me.
  • Options
    ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in this session. Which certification are we sitting for, after this class?
  • Options
    CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    Chadius wrote: »
    I'm in this session. Which certification are we sitting for, after this class?

vSphere 5.0/5.1 Based Exam – Exam Code VCP510
  • Options
    stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can someone answer this what days the training are i am going to be taking another course at the same time just wondered what days the class are
    Free Reading : History Books
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Can someone answer this what days the training are i am going to be taking another course at the same time just wondered what days the class are

The class is over the course of 8 weeks, as long as you login once a week after the 1st orientation and you do about 2 modules a week (took me roughly 4 hours to do them and that was doing a lab, playing World of Tanks and then coming back 15 minutes later) you will have plenty of time to spare with all of the labs and videos by like the 6th week...
  • Options
    examiner2111examiner2111 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also inquired about the course version and was told it was 5.1
    In addition the book material is also advertised as 5.1

Has anyone else ordered the books yet?