Options

Stanley CC Class October - December

Comments

• Options
    j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    also interested in the book. Would prefer to order off of amazon if possible. Excited to be in the class either way!
  • Options
    anywhoanywho Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know if the videos are subtitled? I was wondering if I can get by without listening to the audible lectures since I have hearing loss, which could be a problem for me.

They're not subtitled, but they're based on the book/packet from the course. The course book/packet is more thorough and easier for me tolerate than the lectures anyway. The lectures are just someone reading from a script - it's not very engaging.
  • Options
    STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We are required by VMware to inform students that we do not provide corporate training. Anyone who is paying for the course on their own is eligible regardless of your work status. Taking this course makes you a "part-time" student.
    It appears that registration is about to go live for those of you who have been on the waitlist. I filled out the Google Docs form yesterday.

Is it bad that I put that I work full time, 40 hours a week on the Google Doc? See the copy of the email that was sent to me below. My company is not paying me to take this course, and I am merely pursuing this route because of my interest in virtualization, and its where I would like to see my career go.

Good Morning,
    We are now registering for our VMware vSphere Course for the session below. If you choose not to enroll in this session but are still interested in taking this course, you will need to add your name back to our waitlist.
    October Session: 10/21/2014 – 12/09/2014
    However, before proceeding, please review the following information:
    VMware training is only available to individuals who may be a student in full or part time education, unemployed, career changers or trying to improve their knowledge and are paying for the training themselves. It is not for companies or corporate entities to obtain training for their employees – those individuals must go to a commercial VMware training offering through a VMware authorized commercial training center.
    State Authorization Compliance:
    Federal and state regulations require that all institutions of higher education comply with existing state laws regarding distance learning. As these regulations are continuously evolving, Stanly Community College (SCC) makes every effort to maintain compliance where feasible. SCC works with the regulatory agencies in each state and US Territories to seek authorizations, exemptions, or permissions to continue to offer distance education programs, courses, and certificate programs to residents who wish to enroll in our distance learning education offerings. Admission of out of state resident applicants to an online degree, certificate program or individual online course offered by SCC, is dependent on the College’s ability to secure authorization from the applicant's state of residence. At this time, due to evolving changes in higher education regulations, SCC is unable to serve all of the students that are interested in our courses or programs. SCC will no longer be able to offer distance education online programs or courses for students residing in Alaska, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Wyoming. Additionally, students enrolled in programs or courses that require internships or supervised clinical placements will be unable to complete these activities in the states listed above.
    If you are interested in taking this class, and you are paying your own tuition, please complete the form located here by Friday, September 12th. Once you are registered, we will send you information on how to go online to our website and submit your payment of $185.00 for the class and instructions on how to purchase the textbook. IF you are no longer interested in taking the class or wish to be removed from the wait list, please respond to this email stating that fact. Please be aware that the registration process could take as long as two weeks.
    Here is the class information:
    10/21/2014-12/09/2014 - VMware vSphere Course – Virtual Online Class
    Important Information: Registration and Lab fees (total $185.00) due at registration. Textbook to be purchased prior to the start of class. This class is conducted entirely online. SCC is a Regional VMware IT Academy, and upon completion of the course, students will be eligible to sit for the VCP certification exam.
    Let me know if you have any questions or need any further assistance.
    Jana P. Kennedy
    Stanly Community College
  • Options
    In order to be fair to all who wish to take this class, we enroll students in the VMware courses in the order in which they registered on the online wait list. We make every effort to accommodate all students in a timely manner. If you have not yet registered here is the link: https://vmware.stanly.edu/

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

moe12 wrote: »
    Can someone post a link to the course for future reference?
  • Options
    The course is conducted entirely online, including labs, videos, and other course material in an asynchronous manner which basically means it is available to students 24/7. You are required to log in the first day of class and complete the intro. assignments. Those who are enrolled and paid-up will receive an orientation email closer to the start of class.
    GAB1900 wrote: »
    I added my name to the waiting list, hopefully I can take the class early next year.

Anybody knows the format of the class? Is it live online or do they have videos that I can watch after work? I am in Texas, CST. Working full time, I need to make sure I will have the time for this.
  • Options
    Currently the course is based on the 5.1 curriculum. We will be moving to 5.5 in January 2015.
    simones wrote: »
    Hi all, this is my first post.

Three day ago I receved the email for registration to the course and I made using form.
    Now I'm waiting for the response with the instruction for the payment. I'm not resident in the united states and I will follow the course remotly.

In the meantime I sent an email to Jana to require information about the version of the vSphere on with the course is based. I received the confirmation that the version is 5.5 (aligned with VMWare requirements)

Reding other threads in the forum I noticed that someone suggesto don't buy the book. On this point I have a question: it's mandatory buy the book?
    I would buy only a book that I can use during the course and for prepare the VCP5-DCV exam. I want a book because my knowledge of spoken English is not perfect and I want something that permit me to explore the themes treated and then pass the laboratories

Regards

ps = sorry for any grammatical errors :)
  • Options
    examiner2111examiner2111 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    j.petrov wrote: »
    also interested in the book. Would prefer to order off of amazon if possible. Excited to be in the class either way!

I have looked all over the internet and could not find any reference to the book. It seems that the only way to obtain is through a VMware Authorized Academy.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    *bumps*
    Does anyone know if the videos are subtitled? I was wondering if I can get by without listening to the audible lectures since I have hearing loss, which could be a problem for me.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I hope they are, but they likely aren't. I did my course from UCSC and the videos weren't subtitled and inadequate anyway. I hope Stanley's are better, though they are for to help you with the course, not pass the exam.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Class is paid for and book ordered. :) I take the CCNA exams right before class starts. yay!
  • Options
    bgold87bgold87 Member Posts: 112
    Just got the book ready to start, I was halfway through Odom's CCNA book, so it looks like that's going to be on hold. I'm stoked to get started with this.
  • Options
    simonessimones Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If the class is based on the 5.1 curriculum (Thsi is different from that in a private email Jana told me but I asked for confirmation) is it possible to take the VCP550 exam?

I think yes but I would like confirmation
  • Options
    simonessimones Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    simones wrote: »
    If the class is based on the 5.1 curriculum (Thsi is different from that in a private email Jana told me but I asked for confirmation) is it possible to take the VCP550 exam?

I think yes but I would like confirmation

I received confirmation that che class is based on the 5.1 curriculum, but at the end you are able to take VCP510 or VCP550 (for this is need some study integration)
  • Options
    examiner2111examiner2111 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got an official answer from VMware, after completing you eligible to take any 5 series exam. Currently that is 5.0, 5.1, 5.5.
  • Options
    confewshzconfewshz Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im registered for this class. I have the Mastering VMware 5.5 book, but went ahead and bought the class book anyhow. Excited about the class. I plan on taking the VCP-550 exam, which is why I decided on the Scott Lowe 5.5 book.
    2017 Certification Plans: MCSA 2012 (70-417) COLOR=#ff0000][B]X[/B][/COLOR, MCSE 2012 (70-413) SIZE=2][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000][B]X[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE, MCSE 2012 (70-414) [ ], VCP6-DTM (Horizon View 6) [ ], Security + [ ], CISSP, MCSA 2016 (70-743) [ ]
    TBD:
    CEH, PMP, CISA,
    Six Sigma Master Black Belt, Lean Six Sigma, Kaizen
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Just an FYI, it doesn't matter if you take VCP510 or 550, you're still going to be VCP 5-DCV.
  • Options
    Thanks Verities. We are currently running 5.1 at work but will be moving to 5.5 soon. So I figure I'd study for 5.5 to get prepared for the upgrade icon_cheers.gif
    2017 Certification Plans: MCSA 2012 (70-417) COLOR=#ff0000][B]X[/B][/COLOR, MCSE 2012 (70-413) SIZE=2][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000][B]X[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE, MCSE 2012 (70-414) [ ], VCP6-DTM (Horizon View 6) [ ], Security + [ ], CISSP, MCSA 2016 (70-743) [ ]
    TBD:
    CEH, PMP, CISA,
  • Options
    pandoso360pandoso360 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just one more week for the class to start!
    Been reading the Scott Lowe book and am really looking forward for this course.

btw, has anyone received the orientation email?
  • Options
    j4g3rb0mb3dj4g3rb0mb3d Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    pandoso360 wrote: »
    Just one more week for the class to start!
    Been reading the Scott Lowe book and am really looking forward for this course.

btw, has anyone received the orientation email?

I haven't yet, which is weird as class starts next week.
  • Options
    I havent received the orientation email yet.
    TBD:
    CEH, PMP, CISA,
  • Options
    Orientation emails will go out at the end of this week or by Monday at the latest.
  • Options
    CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    STANLY_CC wrote: »
    Orientation emails will go out at the end of this week or by Monday at the latest.

How is that possible if the previous course session is waiting for the oll2 lab environment to be rebuilt?
  • Options
    Hopefully, the OLL2 issue will be completely resolved this week. We are making arrangements for the few students who were caught in this situation, but we are still finalizing the solution. We will be back in touch with those students shortly.
    CIO wrote: »
    How is that possible if the previous course session is waiting for the oll2 lab environment to be rebuilt?
  • Options
    STANLY_CC wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, STANLY_CC
    TBD:
    CEH, PMP, CISA,
  • Options
    drfagerdrfager Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is this still open for registration? I need an affordable way to get the accredited training.
  • Options
    I guess scratch that, my state is in list of areas that cannot attend.
  • Options
    Todd BTodd B Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    drfager wrote: »
    I guess scratch that, my state is in list of areas that cannot attend.

drfager... I was too. I went with yourtechtraining.com Price wasn't much higher and it does include the book and exam voucher.

Edit to add: I also checked with them and they are an Authorized VMware IT Academy that counts toward the VCP course requirement. No wait-list either. I start in about 2 weeks.
  • Options
    Todd B wrote: »
    drfager... I was too. I went with yourtechtraining.com Price wasn't much higher and it does include the book and exam voucher.

Edit to add: I also checked with them and they are an Authorized VMware IT Academy that counts toward the VCP course requirement. No wait-list either. I start in about 2 weeks.

Thanks for the heads up!

Out of curiosity, how does this work, you just attend and they let VMware know you attended? (Or do you have to sign up via the VMware Mylearn account)

Are there tests etc. that you must pass? Is this live instructor led or just pre-recorded videos? There isnt a lot of information on the site.
  • Options
    Todd BTodd B Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    drfager wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up!

Out of curiosity, how does this work, you just attend and they let VMware know you attended? (Or do you have to sign up via the VMware Mylearn account)

Are there tests etc. that you must pass? Is this live instructor led or just pre-recorded videos? There isnt a lot of information on the site.

The guy told me it's asynchronous (do at your own pace) online course. Comes with VMware eBook and your own lab environment. Looks to be around 8 weeks.

I was also told (I was asking for something else) in a round-about way that since I already have a myLearn account that this course would be added there once complete. Not really sure if you don't already have one, but my guess is they would have you create one?
  • Options
    Todd B wrote: »
    The guy told me it's asynchronous (do at your own pace) online course. Comes with VMware eBook and your own lab environment. Looks to be around 8 weeks.

I was also told (I was asking for something else) in a round-about way that since I already have a myLearn account that this course would be added there once complete. Not really sure if you don't already have one, but my guess is they would have you create one?

Thats a weird site. No contact info on the site. They only offer one course.

Maybe im overlooking it, but I also dont see the site listed on the official VMware It Academy list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At5YcMvz2XzJdHFCSVJWcUEzaGpPZ2pxd0taVXVJcnc

On their "about" page they listed an affiliation with Bismark State College, I emailed them to confirm the affiliation.

Not saying it isnt legit, but that website is kinda lacking.