Options

5 Million Gmail Accounts Leaked

MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have the email file (zip or raw txt) if anyone is interested. Also willing to check emails at request through PM. I found two of my own accounts and a few family members. The passwords were old but still valid for the family members.

PM me if you need the private link.

http://rt.com/news/186580-millions-google-accounts-leaked/

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    And this is why 2-factor authentication exists. :P
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    mokaibamokaiba Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Changed my password a little while ago but still would like to know if other family members are affected.

Not sure how valid this site is, but doesnt hurt to check: Was your Gmail password leaked? 5 million account passwords published online!
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Neither of mine leaked. The passwords were stored in plain-text?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    mokaiba wrote: »
    Changed my password a little while ago but still would like to know if other family members are affected.

Not sure how valid this site is, but doesnt hurt to check: Was your Gmail password leaked? 5 million account passwords published online!

I wouldn't really trust public sites like that.
    Neither of mine leaked. The passwords were stored in plain-text?

Not sure about storage, but the password were dumped in plaintext.
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good thing I have the two factor on the Gmail account I care about.

The other one is for crap/spam/misc
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Just enabled two-factor security on mine. Thanks for this enlightening post!
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    +1 for 2FA icon_smile.gif

For those that want to check if they have been affected, check out https://haveibeenpwned.com/

It's run by Troy Hunt whole is very well respected in the security community. He follows a ton of major breaches so it checks for more than just the gmail leak.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    It wasn't a hack on Google's systems, rather probably credential harvesting over a period of several years.

Google: No compromise, likely massive phishing database | Ars Technica
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My "used to be main" email address popped up on the list, a while back I used a single email address for everything......
  • Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    *le sigh* They got my main one. Already changed it last night though.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    karl88karl88 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    None of my accounts got leaked. I'm not going to input my addresses in any of the many sites people are linking. I noticed a sharp rise in spam following responding to Craigslist job ads. Prior to that I barely received any spam. I don't need anymore, and sometimes legitimate stuff gets filtered there.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    I have a script I wrote, that auto changes my passwords, every few days, so no worries for me and I never post anything that could compromised me in emails or chat systems like this.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    MTciscoguy wrote: »
    I have a script I wrote, that auto changes my passwords, every few days, so no worries for me and I never post anything that could compromised me in emails or chat systems like this.

What kind of script? How does it interface with the web pages and how many accounts are linked?
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    What kind of script? How does it interface with the web pages and how many accounts are linked?

It is based on some technology we developed when I was in the military and could be used for nefarious intentions if someone was so inclined. I use it in 10 account blocks at various times during the week.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.