Options

My CISCO CCNA Lab

SyliceSylice Member Posts: 100
As some of you may know, I've trying to start a CISCO lab for CCENT/CCNA. Well, I found some gear! Here it is:

-CISCO 871 Router (Cisco 871 Integrated Services Router | eBay)

-2 CISCO CATALYST 2950 Switches (Cisco 2950 Catalyst 24 Port Switch WS C2950 24 0746320773964 | eBay

-2 CISCO 2611XM Routers (Cisco 2611XM Dual Fast Ethernet CISCO2611XM w 12 4 iOS 1 Year Warranty | eBay)

So what do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You didnt state what your budget is but I will state change the router to a 2650xm because they have the ipadvanced flash image which is what you need to do router on a stick. Some folks are gonna say where's the ipv6 support but you cant have it all. I myself would like to see you get at least one more switch, and preferably a 2960, but you can still do the objectives with what you have. If you can, get a 2960 for the reason that it has gig ports and when you trunk between a fast Ethernet and a gig port you will see the the auto correct to the lower speed (gig to fast ether) This is important to watch spanning tree pick it's preferred path to the root bridge. Last but not least, you gotta build some cables - straight thru and crossovers.. Get a cable mapper to verify your work.. They cost about $60 I use this puppy but I am in the market for the fiber mapper because that is the *very* near future

http://www.jdsu.com/ProductLiterature/Manual_LanRoamer_Tester_Analyzer_TP500_TU9840.pdf

As for doing ipv6, knowing the theory will have to work or do the gns simulator thing. If you are able to obtain Packet Tracer, snag that puppy. My view is if it ain't supported in PT it ain't in the Cisco exam.

You're doing the right thing--good job

And as usual, you will get a Guru who will come up with a different plan..Listen to him/her
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I'd have told you to save your money, there is little reason to have real equipment and especially at the NA level. If you are going to get equipment, I would recommend you get some that will carry through advanced certifications.

3560/3750 switches
    2950/2960 switches (You got a few of these, so these will be ok L2 switches, make these your access switches of course)
    1800 series ISR's (relatively cheap)or other G1 ISR's

I am just touching my own rack in the last few months and that's only because I am putting some designs together with multiple firewalls. Otherwise, GNS3 is my goto
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    I'd have told you to save your money, there is little reason to have real equipment and especially at the NA level. If you are going to get equipment, I would recommend you get some that will carry through advanced certifications.

3560/3750 switches
    2950/2960 switches (You got a few of these, so these will be ok L2 switches, make these your access switches of course)
    1800 series ISR's (relatively cheap)or other G1 ISR's

I am just touching my own rack in the last few months and that's only because I am putting some designs together with multiple firewalls. Otherwise, GNS3 is my goto

So should I just use GNS3 for CCENT?
  • Options
    dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thats what i used for my CCNA, GNS3
  • Options
    Sylice wrote: »
    So should I just use GNS3 for CCENT?

Packet Tracer for CCENT/CCNA

• Options
    Awesome. How do you get all of the routers on GNS3? I cant select them - they're like, invisible.
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You have to 'get' the IOS images and configure them in GNS3
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    Packet Tracer for CCENT/CCNA

Theres no way I can get packet tracer without being in a cisco academy
  • Options
    Sylice wrote: »
    Theres no way I can get packet tracer without being in a cisco academy

If this is your answer then IT might not be a field for you...

Translation - Do some research

• Options
    On the cisco site it says only cisco academy teachers could get it. But I've found it lol.