Options

CCENT Simulator

Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
Hi guys,

So I plan on studying for CCENT ICND1 soon and ICND2 afterwards.

I already purchased Lammle's book and have skimmed through it. I noticed that there is an included simulator called IOS CCENT Simulator by Todd Lammle. Has anyone ever used this before? He mentions that it can be used for all the labs in his book. I was wondering if this would be a sufficient simulator for the exam? Or would Packet Tracer still be needed?

I can't afford to purchase live equipment at the moment, so I plan on using simulators.

Hope someone can help, thanks a lot guys.

Comments

• Options
    Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
    I use packet tracer and Bosons netsim as I'm still living with the parents and don't have the space for live equipment.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GNS3 is great for the routing part but not very useful for switching yet.
    Used Google to figure out where to get the IOS images.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    chronos42chronos42 Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Alex90 wrote: »
    I use packet tracer and Bosons netsim as I'm still living with the parents and don't have the space for live equipment.

How do you like NetSim? Do you think it's worth the money over just using Packet Tracer and the free labs that can be found online for it?
  • Options
    Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
    Yea I really like it, granted you have to pay for it but I like the way the labs etc are structured. I think for the CCNA sim it cost me $179 which works out at about £100 for me. I do use packet tracer as well but I use netsim as my primary source for labbing at the moment.

I think I will probably need to get a physical lab for my CCNP studies though.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Since I'm **** about studying for the CCNA, I purchased the full CCNA Network Simulator from Pearson Vue and I've worked through the whole thing which has about 700 labs and it's pretty good information since for the most part it give you examples and hints to help you work through them but it really good practice and worth the $80.
  • Options
    jem7skjem7sk Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    Since I'm **** about studying for the CCNA, I purchased the full CCNA Network Simulator from Pearson Vue and I've worked through the whole thing which has about 700 labs and it's pretty good information since for the most part it give you examples and hints to help you work through them but it really good practice and worth the $80.

I noticed the CCENT and the follow up CCNA are on sale for $70 right now and the 200-120 simulator is on sale for $104. Is this a good deal? Can you get started right away with the labs? Or do you have to read the book a bit...

CCNA Training - Cisco Certification - Cisco Press > Certification Info
  • Options
    Alex90 wrote: »
    Yea I really like it, granted you have to pay for it but I like the way the labs etc are structured. I think for the CCNA sim it cost me $179 which works out at about £100 for me. I do use packet tracer as well but I use netsim as my primary source for labbing at the moment.

I think I will probably need to get a physical lab for my CCNP studies though.

I'd be curious to know how the Boson and Pearson Vue simulators stack up with one another if anyone has used them both? Good to know about Boson. I might have to get them both.
  • Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    I might purchase the Pearson Vue Network Simulator as well, but I was still wondering if anyone has used JUST the Lammle IOS Simulator included in the CCENT ICND1 book by Todd. Thanks guys.
  • Options
    Lammie's Simulator is the exact same version as the full version from Pearson Vue with the only exception that the one from Lammie is the lite version and extremely reduced in labs.

I'd recommend buying the full simulator and someone else above asked if you need the book; the book helps but it's not needed for the simulator. the 1st 200 labs are guided. took me 2 solid weekends to complete the full network simulator; I refresh upon it from time to time; 700 labs is a doozey!
  • Options
    Lammie's Simulator is the exact same version as the full version from Pearson Vue with the only exception that the one from Lammie is the lite version and extremely reduced in labs.

I'd recommend buying the full simulator and someone else above asked if you need the book; the book helps but it's not needed for the simulator. the 1st 200 labs are guided. took me 2 solid weekends to complete the full network simulator; I refresh upon it from time to time; 700 labs is a doozey!

Now, the Pearson Vue simulator and the Lammle simulator are two completely separate things, I believe. Can you post a link to the one you're referring to?
  • Options
    chronos42 wrote: »
    Now, the Pearson Vue simulator and the Lammle simulator are two completely separate things, I believe. Can you post a link to the one you're referring to?

there the exact same program. Todd Lammie's book has the Network Simulator Lite, and the Pearson Vue Network ?Simulator is the full version. I know it for a fact.

Both programs are on my home computer; I only have the full version on my laptop.

• Options
    there the exact same program. Todd Lammie's book has the Network Simulator Lite, and the Pearson Vue Network ?Simulator is the full version. I know it for a fact.

Both programs are on my home computer; I only have the full version on my laptop.

I think you may be confusing Lammle's book with Odom's book. Odom's book has the network simulator lite (Full version: CCNA Simulator, 2nd Edition), and Lammle's book includes a download of his "IOS CCENT Simulator" (LammleSim – Cisco CCENT Simulator now on Mac and Windows | LammleSim), which is a different program.

Regardless, though, I am curious as to your experience with the full Network Simulator. Did you use it in conjunction with the book, and do you feel it was a good buy over, say, the Boson sim?
  • Options
    Is it just me or is the Cisco Press Simulator for the 200-101 and the 200-120 have the same labs? Seems you could save a lot by just getting the 200-101 if that is the case? Look at the cover of both

• Options
    jem7sk wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the Cisco Press Simulator for the 200-101 and the 200-120 have the same labs? Seems you could save a lot by just getting the 200-101 if that is the case? Look at the cover of both

Basically the 200-120 simulator includes the labs for both the 100-101 (ICND1) and 200-101 (ICND2), while the 200-101 simulator obviously only has labs for the latter test.

If you know you want both, buying the 200-120 sim is a better deal.
  • Options
    chronos42 wrote: »
    Basically the 200-120 simulator includes the labs for both the 100-101 (ICND1) and 200-101 (ICND2), while the 200-101 simulator obviously only has labs for the latter test.

If you know you want both, buying the 200-120 sim is a better deal.

Thanks, it is just funny that they both say over 400 labs and 4000 hands on exercises. It is on sale for $104.. does it ever get better than that?
  • Options
    Thanks, it is just funny that they both say over 400 labs and 4000 hands on exercises. It is on sale for $104.. does it ever get better than that?

That's the best price I've seen. Considering the ICND1 and ICND2 labs are something like $70-80 each when sold separately, it's a pretty solid deal.
  • Options
    I like the full simulator alot. I purposely bought the full one for the CCENT and I'll buy the full one for the CCNA. the labs helped a ton.

even if they don't follow cisco's testing labs, having 400+ labs to get the process down to a science for a test that maybe has 10 sims it's really helpful....

three of my recent CCNA buddies in town said the test is about speed and knowing the answers, the testing isn't meant to be hard. you either know the answer or you don't. that's why the full version of the simulator is good. drilled concepts into your brain so that speed is your friend...
  • Options
    I'm going to be buying it tonight then. Thanks!
  • Options
    I'm going to be buying it tonight then. Thanks!

I just ordered the Cisco Press/Pearson Vue Simulator for ICND1 and 2 and with all the discounts it came out to $97.49. Less than advertised from my link above.