Options

Weird Behaviour

zoro_2009zoro_2009 Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

Excuse me if I don't see something obvious here because I'm a kind of novice !
I have a proxy server (IPCop) connected to a switch (to access Internet), this switch is connected to a router which is the gateway to Internet, The switch is also connected to other machines giving them a public IP to access Internet as well (as it gave to IPCop)...
IPCop is playing the role of a web cache for another interior local network ....

The weird thing, is that the machines connected to the main switch along with IPCop, when not configured (DHCP mode), will take an address from IPCop, behaving like it was their parent !

I don't see how this is logical in anyway, is this normal or some sort of a bug ?

Thanks !

Comments

• Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    What do you mean by "behaving like IPCop was their parent?" Like specifically in networking terms, what do you mean by that?
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • Options
    zoro_2009zoro_2009 Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    zoro_2009 wrote: »
    Hi,

Excuse me if I don't see something obvious here because I'm a kind of novice !
    I have a proxy server (IPCop) connected to a switch (to access Internet), this switch is connected to a router which is the gateway to Internet, The switch is also connected to other machines giving them a public IP to access Internet as well (as it gave to IPCop)...
    IPCop is playing the role of a web cache for another interior local network ....

The weird thing, is that the machines connected to the main switch along with IPCop, when not configured (DHCP mode), will take an address from IPCop, behaving like it was their parent !

I don't see how this is logical in anyway, is this normal or some sort of a bug ?

Thanks !

As Heero pointed out, it has DHCP capabilities ...
    Basically its like this:

2uzrpc2.png