Options

Opportunities overseas - To Europe

d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
Greetings!

I am a young brazilian guy, looking forward to move to Europe (Ireland, specifically).
So, I was researching about work visas, and stuff like that and I saw that IT people are eligible for a greencard.

My question is: does anybody have experience on overseas interviews and visa sponsorship provided by the companies?
How is the acceptance of foreigners in Europe (for Americans, Asians, etc)?

Comments

• Options
    yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    and what are your interest on coming to Europe? Isn't Brazil's economy growing very fast? At least that is what you watch in the news here
  • Options
    chronos42chronos42 Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I worked in Ireland (Dublin) for some time, and the large Brazilian population surprised me. You will be very accepted in Ireland as a Brazilian, and you will have many fellow countrymen to interact with. Most of the minority derision is focused on the Poles and other Eastern Europeans living in Ireland; Brazilians don't tend to be a target.

As for work visas...it's going to differ depending on where you're from. I don't know anything about Brasil/Ireland visas, but I know as an American, it's difficult to acquire any sort of long-term visa. Best I could do was a Working Holiday visa that lasted a year (was supposed to last only four months, but they approved me for a year anyway). However, considering how many long-term Brazilians I met and worked with over there, I don't think you'll have any problem whatsoever.
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing your experience!

I will move out because I don't really enjoy living here, and the cost for living is way too expensive.
    I don't live in Sao Paulo, where stuff actually happens for IT guys, and no way I will move to that city, it is so chaotic.

Good to know that there are brazilians in there, I will check my network to see what I can do :)
  • Options
    chronos42chronos42 Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No problem! Cheers!
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I don't think anyone is 'eligible for green card'. This is how you work in Europe: A company sponsors you, or you go as a student and try to find a job while there (risky and I wouldn't do it).

With your certifications, you have a good chance. Target big companies like Google, Cisco, Dell, Amazon etc, they can sponsor you easily if you have good experience.

Good luck.

And I've met Brazilians everywhere in the world, you'll be alright :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is 'eligible for green card'. This is how you work in Europe: A company sponsors you, or you go as a student and try to find a job while there (risky and I wouldn't do it).
    That applies worldwide, not just Europe xD

For a year I was looking for job in US, Canada and Australia, and I was facing the same problem. Either you get sponsored or **** off
  • Options
    True because sponsorship costs money and sponsorships happens only when there's no local candidate that can fill up the position.

• Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Just a heads up to the OP that Ireland has had a number of "English student" places go bust in the last number of months. Basically trying to lure people in to learn English and get work at the same time. But these "institutions" have closed shop leaving their students high and dry with no English, no job and the government having to help them out somewhat find another English school all at their own expense. This is all for significant sums of money BTW. They are trying to clean up the sector to prevent this happening again though.

d4nz1g I can only wish you luck, as I don't know the process for visas and green cards. However, I would say there is a IT skills shortage in Ireland even with the high unemployment rate - so your chances of getting a visa might actually be quite good at the moment. Let me know if you need any help.
  • Options
    I just wrote a huge text and lost it haha.

But thank you, Asif.

I've heard of a friend of a friend who was there studying english, and got a job offer; so his visa proccess happened way faster than the usual.

I think the point is getting in there, after that it gets really easy, as i can see.

If i need anything, I will reach to you then :)
  • Options
    @Asif: I agree, it's very risky and many of those institutions are not worth the money. Luck is a factor in this as well, so it's something I wouldn't do myself, not at the moment anyway.

• Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ireland has a good Quality Life Index. The community life is awesome and safety is high. However, If you want to make a lot of money I'm afraid you'll be disappointed
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not sure I totally agree with you CCNPNinja, Ireland is still one of the top GDP per capita in Europe - that's just an average of everybody's salary if you want to call it that. Sweden is above Ireland but pays much more tax than in Ireland, so then it comes down to cost of living. Contracting in VMware is getting €350 to €500 per day, so to say you can't make a lot of money is not totally true.

Now if you were to say are there other places where you can earn more? then yes London obviously but then it's very hard to get on the housing ladder in London so you will pay over the odds for a house in London right now - again, it comes down to cost of living, which is different everywhere you go.

<Just a link to a salary survey>