Options

Other colleges besides WGU that accept certifications as credit?

bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
Is anyone aware of any other schools that accept certifications as credit?

I had to take a break from WGU for some personal reasons and am now having a hell of time getting re-admitted as they somehow do not have a record of me having passed a good portion of my cert exams. I've provided my MS transcript so hopefully everything will work out, but the whole experience so far is so awful, and it looks like they've changed the program quite a bit from when I was last enrolled and doesnt look like it changed in any good ways.

Just curious what other options might be out there for me.

Comments

• Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    UMUC accepts certifications for credit:
    Credit for Industry Standard Certifications

Excelsior College accepts certifications, but it doesn't say how many credits you get:
    Credit for IT Certifications

Franklin University accepts certifications also. Click the "Read More" button under Program Overview:
    Information Technology Degree Program

Those are some of the programs that I've heard about. Let me know what you think.
  • Options
    Thanks! Looking into these now.

They've come back and said I won't receive any further credits than what they've given me so far. Basically, the MCITP: EA that I earned through WGU does not transfer to the new MCSA 2012 course program. So instead of 1 term of general's left I will now need to complete all of the MCSA 2012 requirements plus the generals to earn my BS. So nice of my mentor to let me know about this prior to taking a break.

Sure will not be recommending WGU to my colleagues any longer.
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    have you tried working your way up the food chain? I'm finding out my mentor is a bit of a tart some days.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    Shdwmage wrote: »
    have you tried working your way up the food chain? I'm finding out my mentor is a bit of a tart some days.

I think I may need to escalate this, just not sure who. Once you withdraw you no longer have a mentor assigned, right now I am working with their readmission people. Its a pretty terrible experience, I may just email my old mentor and see if I can get her involved.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do that for sure, the ECs are the weakest part of the chain. They might be looking at your old MCSA and saying it's past 5 years, but it was at WGU so I'd push higher up.
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    I agree with the others. I would escalate the issue, especially since that was pretty much equal to the MCSE at the time when microsoft swapped their branding.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,