Options

Home Lab question

ecifiroecifiro Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Howdy, I've recently starting looking into the Cisco certifications as I’m taking a CCNA R&S class as part of my major and it’s peaking my interest. I've always been more of a software kind of person, with several certifications like MCSE NT4 & 2K, CompTia A+, N+, Security+ (I’m sure expired by now).

With that said, I have Packet Tracer and GNS3 although I don’t care for virtual learning. I prefer to have the hands on experience with physical devices. With a supportive wife I started collecting equipment that I hope will get me started in the right direction.

My starting goals are routers/switches capable of running IOS15.

What I currently have is:

Router:
3ea 2811
1ea 2851
1ea 3825

Switch:
3ea 2960 (Layer 2 IOS15)
2ea 3750 (Layer 3 although IOS12)
Looking for a good deal on 3750v2 or G for the IOS15 capability in layer 3.

Modules are what I’m lacking and I’m not sure what is best to start collecting. From what I understand I only need 3 routers for beginning my adventure, just couldn't pass up the deal. I wanted to make a testing lab plus start converting my hodgepodge home network with some decent equipment. Just about everything I purchased appears to have some type of VOIP cards installed.

If you’re still with my long winded first post, would you recommend WIC-2T’s or something else for connecting routers?

Thanks, and well met!

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used WIC-2T’s to connect everything. Cheap and easy.
    Make sure the cards you have installed are not T1 modules. If they are you can make a T1 crossover cable and use them as you would a WIC-2T card. I think the clocking command might be different is all.

For now you can still play with networks using the Ethernet ports.

Welcome to the site.
  • Options
    Awesome, those are definitely cheaper than HWIC-2T's.
    Hopefully this is an okay section to keep asking questions regarding the home lab.

I received the three different routers without compactflash cards. My research is telling me that I can purchase the same part number CF card for the different routers. I’m looking for the 128meg (or bigger) versions to hold the basic IOS15.

-Does that sound correct? When I ebay the router number for specific CF cards, the prices vary quite a bit with the 2811’s being the cheapest.

DRAM is another issue, but I’m going to open up the systems tonight and do an inventory before upgrading anything. The datasheets are showing 512 by default on the 3825, 256 on the others.
  • Options
    I never upgraded my flash and I don't have your model routers so I don't want to assume anything for you.

Try running the show version command on the routers. It should tell you your ram and IOS version. Keep in mind for CCNA level you really don't need to worry to much about the versions yet. It's nice to have an updated router with all of the features but you will learn just as much with the other IOS files. This is why I have not bothered to update anything yet.

Many people including myself start off on this form asking about equipment. It's a great resource but I find it is also a great site to help keep members motivated. I drop in and respond to a few posts each day just to keep thinking about the different technologies while I'm doing other stuff in school currently.
  • Options
    I appreciate the support either way, even if asking a question doesn’t get direct answers. I find it forces me to dig a little deeper into the datasheets. Sometimes I just don’t know exactly what I need to be successful at this. This whole Cisco certification appears to be a daunting process at first.

Regarding the CF cards, I found this and it appears to cover the complete range of routers I have. With the second bulleted note, it looks like any Cisco branded CF cards should work. Unfortunately I need 5 of them…

Cisco 3800 series routers, Cisco 2800 series routers, and Cisco 1800 series routers do not support internal flash memory. Because the system image can be stored only on a CF memory card, you need to have a CF memory card installed to boot the system image.
    • We recommend that you erase (Class B) or format (Class C) new CF memory cards to initialize them with either a Class B or Class C flash file system. This ensures proper formatting and enables the ROM monitor to recognize and boot the flash memory.
    • Only CF memory cards purchased from Cisco are supported on these platforms.

Cisco 3800 Series Routers and Cisco 2800 Series Routers (Except for Cisco 2801 Routers)
    • Support Class B and Class C flash file systems.
    • Support only external CF memory cards.
    • If you use a PC to format the CF memory cards, you can format the cards with the Microsoft 16-bit File Allocation Table (FAT16), Microsoft 32-bit File Allocation Table (FAT32), or Microsoft Windows NT file system (NTFS). Alternatively, you can format the CF memory card on the router.
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    As to CF cards, all of my routers are running standard bought off the shelf Sandisk cards and I have never had any problems, they are 256mb cards and work just fine, I formatted them to the correct specifications and then put IOS 15 on them, plugged them in and presto. So don't think you have to use Cisco branded cards, because you don't.

All three of my 1841 routers have Sandisk 256mb cards in them and have never had a problem at all.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I prefer T1 cards. My serial wics are in a box on the shelf.
    This is how I connect my routers instead of serial. So much neater. Also, cheaper! AND used in the industry unlike serial.

WIC1DSU-T1 V2 can be found on Ebay for $5.49 Shipped. LINK
    T1 Crossover can be found on Ebay for $3.79 Shipped. LINK

You will need to put in some special commands as if you were to set clock rate and what not on serial.
    One will need to set clock and one will need to receive. clock source internal/line will be the equivalent.

T1s don't use the "clock rate" command, but instead use two commands "clock source {line | internal}" to indicate whether one end is a DCE or DTE and "service-module t1 timeslots 1-24" to indicate the desire speed for the link (each timeslot is 64 Kbps, so using all 24 = a Full T1 or 1.544 Mbps). One WIC-1T to WIC-1T link [or even Packet Tracer] is more than sufficient to play around with the clock rate command. All you really need to know is that it has to be set on the DCE side.

Here is an example of how to set up.

R1
    =====
    interface Serial0/0
    service-module t1 timeslots 1-24
    service-module t1 linecode b8zs
    service-module t1 framing esf
    service-module t1 clock source internal
    encapsulation ppp
    fair-que

R2
    =====
    interface Serial0/0
    service-module t1 timeslots 1-24
    service-module t1 linecode b8zs
    service-module t1 framing esf
    service-module t1 clock source line
    encapsulation ppp
    fair-que

Make sure you give each interface an IP Address, a description if you want, and the "no shut" command.

Now for the number of modules, Just get 2 for each of your 3 routers. With 3 T1 cables total.
    This is all you need to create a triangle topology so that you can study OSPF.
    Keep these configs in a txt file. Then just copy and paste on a fresh config if you don't want to save config each time.

OOOPS. totally realised that the older T1 cards are not compatible on your 2811's
    Disregard icon_sad.gif
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    No worries. I’m glad they don’t work because I’ve already started buying the WIC2T’s. icon_wink.gif Picked up 3 at $10 each. The cables are a little spendy though.

Well I take that back, I have 2 WIC-1DSU-T1 V2 that I just pulled out of a couple of the 2800’s. Maybe they do work after all.

This is like unwrapping x-mas at my house right now. The 3825 has 2 EVM-IPVS-16A modules and each of those had 512MB Cisco CF cards installed. I’ll repurpose those for the IOS images. The modules don’t appear to be selling on ebay, so I’m guessing it’s old tech not used for anything worthwhile anymore.

So far I have module wise.
    2ea EVM-IPVS-16A
    1ea EVM-HD-8FXS/DID
    1ea BRI-4B-U
    2ea WIC-1DSU-T1 V2
    1ea VIC2-2FXO
    1ea VWIC-2MFT-T1
    4ea PVDM2-64 (PID VID) * these seem to be selling for more than I paid on the router.

Any of that seem worthwhile to keep for certifications?
  • Options
    Getting excited!!

WIC-2T's installed and have the DCE/DTE cables ready.

Picked up a NM-32a with an octal cable for making my own access server. That's already installed an working.

Only thing I need now is a Layer 3 switch and prefer IOS15 to match everything else, probably looking for a 3750v2 or g. ( X's are way to spendy). Still need a decent rack to hold it all, and a switched PDU, something like an (AP7900) so I can set this home lab in my server room without hearing the crazy fans all the time.
  • Options
    ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The cables are indeed a little spendy, but you'll be better off in the lab. I tried doing some of the labs that require clocking with the T1 crossover cables, and I wasn't able to get it working. With the DCE/DTE cables I breezed right through that configuration.
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    as far as memory, a 128 CF will do for the 2800's, but 256 is better. ios 15 is running about 64 mb so if you want to add CCP, maybe cme and a second ios version. well 128 isn't going to cut it. buy the cheapest you can find. Just buy a couple extra because they all might not work.
    dram that comes with the routers is ecc, but non ecc works just fine. get yourself 3 512 ddr pc2700/pc3200 memory sticks and upgrade your memory. put a 512 stick in a router to replace the 256. then put the 256 in another with a 256 for 512. And, keep one extra as a spare.
    the wic dsu 1t v2 serial cards are the cheapest and you can make your own cables. just ethernet cables with pin 1&2 going to 4&5. (swap the orange and blue colored wires).
    keep the vwic, mft, and pdvm they will come in handy if you ever do any Voice labbing. the bri is pretty useless.
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you'll be needing the level 3 switches for ccnp. the 3750s work just fine for this. and with the new ccnp test coming out, I hear it is going to include the StackWise technology. So, be sure to get the stacking cables for those 3750's.
  • Options
    Quick question, since I have an extra router. I decided to put the lab equipment separate from my home network with this router in the middle. (This router is also my console access(NM-32A))

The 3825 router has two interfaces, G0/0 and G0/1
    G0/0 192.168.1.15 255.255.255.0
    G0/1 10.0.0.1 255.0.0.0

The lab is connected to the G0/1 interface on the same network. Would I need to configure the router as a NAT in order to communicate with the G0/0 side? Right now I can ping both interfaces from within the G0/1 network but cant go any further than 192.168.1.15.

No devices can communicate from the G0/0 side to the G0/1 side.

-Short term goal is to communicate through telnet/ssh from the 192.168.1.x side to the 10.0.0.x side.
    -Long term goal is to configure the router to receive DHCP from ISP on G0/0, and provide DHCP on the G0/1 interface.
  • Options
    It sounds like you should be able to route between the two networks.
    I don't think you would need to use NAT as you should have the whole network range available to you.

The default gateway is probably your problem right now. The home network probably points to your ISP which is not set up to route to your 10.0.0.0 network. So the ping would not know it's way back. You might want to see if your home router has the capability to send 10.x.x.x traffic back to 192.168.1.15 on your G0/0 interface for you.
  • Options
    Awesome, that's what I needed.
    Set a static destination route pointing towards G0/1 with the gateway of G0/0 in my linksys router.

Everything works and I'm able to ping both ways.

Thanks again! Next step is dropping the linksys router all together.
  • Options
    p1xelsp1xels Member Posts: 114 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi ecifiro,
    What is "3ea" in "3ea 2960" means?
    lol
    I am not aware of the acronym
  • Options
    ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    p1xels wrote: »
    Hi ecifiro,
    What is "3ea" in "3ea 2960" means?
    lol
    I am not aware of the acronym
    each as in 3 each
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • Options
    I'm trying to keep one topic for my own ease of reference. If it's best to ask question in their own topic, please let me know.

I'm having a telnet access issue with a router. (i know telnet = yuck). Anyways, I can access all switches and routers inside my network via telnet.

Outside my network, I can only access the "first" switch in my network. All others fail to connect from outside.

my topology:

ISP->Linksys router->3750G Switch->3825 router->rest of lab. Everything is on the same TCP/IP network.

I have one port forward that I change to access each device. The only IP that connects is the first switch in the chain.

Forgot to mention that once inside the first switch with telnet, I can access the others through that CLI.

Any clues?
  • Options
    Is your routing correct for returning the traffic? Often you get in with a signal but it does not know how to return. Sometimes just the default gateway. Can you ping or trace route past the first router?
  • Options
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    Is your routing correct for returning the traffic? Often you get in with a signal but it does not know how to return. Sometimes just the default gateway. Can you ping or trace route past the first router?

I set the router as the DMZ, still unable to ping or connect from outside the network. Comparing the switch config to the router, and honestly looks about the same. IP/sub and gateway are correct. I'm thinking something is goofy with the linksys router. I'm going to try an bypass that home router tonight.

Anything that is connected to the first switch is not communicating to the outside world.
  • Options
    Looks like I had to configure a gateway of last resort. Configuring a Gateway of Last Resort Using IP Commands - Cisco

After ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 on the first router, I can connect via telnet and ping from outside the network.