Options

VCP-NV, you're mine

tomtom1tomtom1 Member Posts: 375
After finishing up my CCNP yesterday, I feel my traditional networking knowledge is on the right level now to do something new. I'm jumping in SDN with the VCP-NV. Although it's a relatively new exam, I feel VMware is pushing the right buttons in progressing the software defined datacenter (SD DC).

This topic will be a bit of a progress bar in my preparation. Valueable resources will also be posted in VCP-NV resources.

Comments

• Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Between now and Feb 2015 you can use your CCNP as a way to make the required classes optional. Thats great to go after it now. Good luck.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Options
    Between now and Feb 2015 you can use your CCNP as a way to make the required classes optional. Thats great to go after it now. Good luck.

I have already got my VCAP and VCP:DCV, as of such, I do not have the class requirement to start other VCP tracks. However, it is still nice to start :)
  • Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How useful do you find the classes (virtual) and labs they offer?
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Options
    The labs are a great way to get started. Even better would be if they were to release to product, but for the time being I'll just use the HOL. I've been reading a bit about VTEP''s and the encapsulation methods support. NSX presents itself as an overlay networking solution, which is rather cool because they are able to build a L2 network over a L3 network. So, if you have 2 racks that are interconnected by a L3 (routed) connection, broadcasts from host A located in rack 1 are not able to reach host B in rack 2, since a router is a device that is able to separate broadcast domains.

However, using the NSX based solution, an overlay based network can be deployed, allowing host A and B to share the same broadcast domain, allowing broadcasts from host A to traverse to host B, even though they are physically interconnected by L3. The VTEP's are running on the ESXi hosts and can be running either:

GRE; Generic Routing Encapsulation
    STT; Stateless Transport Tunneling
    VXLAN; Virtual Extenable LAN (preferred)

I'll be doing some more labs most definitely. In my VXLAN deep dive I came across some interesting resources, which I will update in the resources thread separately.