Options

Server+ or Storage+?

Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I just became A+ certified this morning. Now I am trying to decide if Storage+ and Server+ are merely the same in terms of hardware fundamentals. I'm also looking at getting into either Net+ or CCENT. So many possibilities......
Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill

Comments

• Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can't answer your question directly as I haven't taken either of those, but I am curious why you are interested in a CompTIA server exam? I have never seen a job listing ask for Server+ or Storage+, whereas almost any sysadmin job will request some Microsoft credential (assuming you aren't going for Linux, in which case Linux+ would be a good start).

My apologies if that didn't make any sense - my internal copyeditor is on a leave of absence after going through a lot of policy documentation today :)
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, I'd like to get some hands on both servers and storage devices, whilst learning networking (N+ or CCENT). I have a relative in the Ottawa area who owns a IT firm that deals with data storage and also Watchguard firewalls. I understand that Storage+ is recently new, but there arn't many in demand IT jobs here in Manitoba. However, if I was to work at a data center down the road, these certs may come in handy.
    Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Server+ has been around a while and always seemed like a dud to me. the information is important but it always seemed like companies were more concerned about vendor specific experience and not vendor neutral knowledge.

Storage+ might fall into the same category, but because most companies won't let someone play with their storage until they prove that they are competent and know what they are doing, it may help. It has always intrigued me and is one of the few CompTIAs that still interest me.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete