Passed 70-640 on second attempt today

vlad06vlad06 Member Posts: 31 ■□□□□□□□□□
Got 87%, I am so happy that this is out the way because AD is a real pain in the arse.

I work in 2nd line support but I just don't get a chance to apply 70% of the stuff in the AD book, and lhaving labs in a virtual environment just isnt the same.

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • jahman182jahman182 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! great job.
    God deserves my best
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! And great score on a very difficult test.
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good job! Labbing is definitely the way to go.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • TheChameleonTheChameleon Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats. I have been studying for weeks and feel nowhere near ready, this is a real pain. I'm using Vbox with a couple of VMs. Some things are very slowly coming together but still. So many concepts and not really knowing what is on the exam.

How long did it take you to complete the actual exam? I know they give you like 3 hours or something.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Any tips for studying the 70-640?

Currently, I'm studying the Microsoft 70-640 R2 book and doing the labs in Virtual Box.

I have started watching the Train Signal/Plural site videos for 70-640.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • vlad06vlad06 Member Posts: 31 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used:

> Official MS book
    > VMware workstation with multiple virtual machines running 2008 R2
    > CBT Nuggets videos
  • LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Congrats on the pass!

What's next?
  • AdrianITAdrianIT Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Excellent stuff vlad! CBT Nuggets are great, much more enjoyable to watch than the TS/PluralSight ones imo (but who's comparing icon_neutral.gif)..congrats again!.....

got mine booked for next thursday...hope im as fortunate as you!

UPDATE: just tried to reshedule my exam for the following 2wks, but it doesnt seem to be available. Can anyone confirm if this exam has now been retired????
    \\2015: [x]ITIL [x]Become a dad [x]Move out my parents house! :)
    \\2016: [ ]70-410 [ ]70-411 [ ]70-412 [ ]Sec+ [ ]CISSP
  • TheChameleonTheChameleon Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't forget that MS is giving 15% off through December.

Congrats to vlad.

I've been studying for weeks off and on at nights for many weeks and having a harder time than I thought it would be and seem to be swimming in place. I'm hearing that obscure details and 'what if' scenarios could be on the exam that you may never use.

It is a lot of information and by the time you learn things, you've forgotten half of what you learned before and seems like a never ending loop.

I 'hope' to schedule 640 by the end of this month. I want to try to finish the MCSA by December but its taking too much time just for one exam.

AdrianIT wrote: »
    Excellent stuff vlad! CBT Nuggets are great, much more enjoyable to watch than the TS/PluralSight ones imo (but who's comparing icon_neutral.gif)..congrats again!.....

got mine booked for next thursday...hope im as fortunate as you!

UPDATE: just tried to reshedule my exam for the following 2wks, but it doesnt seem to be available. Can anyone confirm if this exam has now been retired????
  • ResinResin Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was able to pass this today on my 2nd try...
    my recommendations ,

Lab,Lab,lab...
    technet...
    Lab,Lab,Lab...

When It came down to it Dns And CA were big on my tests.
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats dudes icon_thumright.gif
  • GDL-LCGDL-LC Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, that exam is harsh!
  • edgar2387edgar2387 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats mate icon_thumright.gif, I used the MS press book, IT free training 70-640 on youtube, Technet virtual labs (the most helpful of all, nothing like hands on experience) and actually working a live environment where I had limited access

I passed mine back in Jan of this yr, then the 70-642 2 months later, if your going for the 70-642, about 70% of the questions where on DNS (Zones, scavenging, forwarders, host records)