Using GNS3

Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
What in this track can be simulated with GNS3 and what has to be the real equipment? I'd like to know in order to estimate costs for a lab.

Also, is there anyone here who only obtained an NP-Security without an NP, or got the NP-S first?

Comments

• Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bump the thread.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Routers (using GNS3 or IOU), switches (using IOU) and IPS can all be simulated. Others may be able to be simulated as well, those are the ones I know are. I'm going to get started on this soon myself, so I haven't looked too closely at what devices are testable yet.
  • Highl1Highl1 Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey, I am going for CCNP Sec this year, without the "regular" CCNP (obtained CCNA and CCNA Sec so far). Also, I regularly use GNS3 for my CCNP Sec labs, even though I have some hardware available (ASA 5510)
  • Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Highl1 wrote: »
    Hey, I am going for CCNP Sec this year, without the "regular" CCNP (obtained CCNA and CCNA Sec so far). Also, I regularly use GNS3 for my CCNP Sec labs, even though I have some hardware available (ASA 5510)

Look like you're a little ahead of me since you already have your CCNA Sec. I'm going to try and knock out all five tests this year. Time to buckle down.
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Simulating an old school ASA is easy in GNS3. As for the next gen firewall, you made need some real equipment for that. One of the tests I believe is all IOS security so you could use GNS3 for that. However, for SISAS, you'll need a copy of Cisco ISE (The older one is available if you have a login). You'll need to figure out how to integrate it into your virtual or physical routing/switching environment. Also remember the free version of ISE is a trial, so running it in a VM and reinstalling would be wise (And it'd give you multiple installation experiences).
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Highl1Highl1 Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ISE 1.2 which is enough for SISAS exam can be run in a VM in let's say VMware Workstation, and connect it to a GNS3 setup running on your host