Options

Masters degree or more certs?

Well I am thinking about buckling down and getting the master’s degree I have been putting off since 2009. I have a feeling that it is going to start being a requirement for a lot of INFOSEC jobs out there, more than it already is.
I don’t really see the urgent need to get this done as I already meet most of the requirements for jobs, but I do have a feeling that I would like to teach information security at a university someday and that would require at least a master’s degree from what I understand.

Basically, should I continue to pursue certs like CISA, CISSP-ISSAP/ISSEP, GCIH, CISM…or should I get the master’s degree?

I do not have time to do both at this moment.

P.S. I am currently in the INFOSEC field. ISSM

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I gotta say at least here in the Midwest emphasis seems to be on certs and experience. I always keep an eye on hands-on Infosec positions and not many seem to require or suggest Masters. Only time I've seen it mentioned is for CISO, CSO, or similar managerial roles. Having said that, for teaching, it is a must.
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Since you have the CISSP, you should pursue the MS or MBA.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like we are interested in the same jobs, but you are a couple of years ahead of me since I need to finish my BS and pass the CISSP. Look through the ads for the jobs that interest you.

In my area, the answer would be grad classes. most jobs ask for CISSP, CISM, or some other cert that applies to the position. Might be CISA, something Cisco security related, something from Checkpoint, etc. Then they require the bachelors and most list either graduate classes or a masters as preferred.

I haven't seen any that ask for stacking cert like having CISSP and CISM. I have looked but the CISSP concentrations haven't come up either.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I gotta say at least here in the Midwest emphasis seems to be on certs and experience. I always keep an eye on hands-on Infosec positions and not many seem to require or suggest Masters. Only time I've seen it mentioned is for CISO, CSO, or similar managerial roles. Having said that, for teaching, it is a must.

I agree that the degree is not really a MUST right now. But I have about two to three years until my sons are in school and life will get alot more complicated! I am trying to figure out what the best choice for the next two years shoud be and it seems like the masters might creep its way into HR screening tactics in a couple of years.
  • Options
    bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    Go get your Master's. It's worth more than the CISSP concentrations and those Isaca certs.
  • Options
    certoicertoi Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I recommend the Masters and seeing that its always in the back of your mind you need to dedicate 2 more years and be done with it. After that not only will you have the piece of mind, you can also go the teaching route that you always foresee. Good luck.