Options

Renew your VCP online by 30th Nov 2014

Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
New Delta exam launched for those who need to renew their VCP by March 10th 2015
  • Based only on new material between the vSphere 5.0/5.1 and vSphere 5.5 exams – you save hours of prep time
  • Available online – you can take it from any location
  • Far less expensive – you save money
https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=51919&ui=www_cert

Comments

• Options
    gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh, that's cool, thanks for the heads up!
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • Options
    Highl1Highl1 Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    so this delta exam is available only before November 30th?
  • Options
    GSXRulesGSXRules Member Posts: 109
    Yes

(hmm, need 7 characters to reply)
  • Options
    clouderclouder Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Awesome, thanks for posting this! I fall right into this category of VCPs.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    "for those who need to renew their VCP by March 10th 2015"

So if my VCP expires in August 2015 I am not eligible for this exam?
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    my VCP4 is scheduled to expire by March 10th, but VCP5 is not until June 2014. It would be a shame if I cannot take this one now, beause my VCP5 expires after March 2015
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Nice find!

My VCP expires by March 10th but I'm skipping this. VCAP action is where it's at for me :D
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Valid through: 01-Apr-2016

Phew :p

They finally updated the portal to access the IaaS exam as renewal path ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Yes, you will have your DCA by then.

Wait, what was the question?
  • Options
    Latest word is any VCP5-DCV holder can take this exam to extend their recertification date.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GSXRules wrote: »
    Yes, you will have your DCA by then.

Wait, what was the question?
    icon_lol.gif
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    "for those who need to renew their VCP by March 10th 2015"

So if my VCP expires in August 2015 I am not eligible for this exam?
    GSXRules wrote: »
    Latest word is any VCP5-DCV holder can take this exam to extend their recertification date.
    This answered it! Thanks!
  • Options
    I have an update, apparently its not "any VCP5-DCV holder" it's anyone who has taken the VCP510 - if you've taken the VCP550 you are not eligible.
  • Options
    it's letting me to authorize myself for exam and schedule it, so I guess the renewal date is not the issue (I took VCP510, in June 2013)
  • Options
    pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    New Delta exam launched for those who need to renew their VCP by March 10th 2015

Far less expensive – you save money

What are they charging for the VCP these days? Pearson Vue is charging $120 for this VCP550D. For that money it might make sense to just work on a VCAP.
  • Options
    in the US: VCP550D $120, VCP550 $225, VDCA550 $400
    Showing off all your acronyms in your signature: Priceless
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Couldn't find the price in the UK but is probably $=£ again.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    SamMerlotteSamMerlotte Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This limited time opportunity – the exam will only be offered until November 30, 2014.
    I must be having a slow moment. I don't quite get the incentive for doing this. Having, at this point, less than 2 months isn't ideal, either.
  • Options
    pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    I must be having a slow moment. I don't quite get the incentive for doing this. Having, at this point, less than 2 months isn't ideal, either.

The incentive is so VMWare can make more money on certifications. Unless my company is going to reimburse for it, I'm probably just going to wait for VCP6.
  • Options
    The incentive is, if your VCP expires prior to VCP6-DCV being released you will need to take a 5-day class before achieving VCP6.

So the deal is aimed at (but not limited to) those that will expire early next year.

If you have VCP5-DCV, and your certification will expire early next year your options are:

Delta exam. Online less than 2 hours. $120

Any other VCP-level exam. At Pearson, 2+hours. $225.

A VCAP. At Pearson, 3+ hours. $400

Or, let your VCP expire.
    Prior to VCP6, you must take a "full" VMware class. In person or online. 5 days $4000-6000 (or Stanley or whatever)

By full I mean in the old days you would take a 1?2? day "What's New" to update. That is no more. If your cert expires you start from scratch and need a 4/5 day class.

Ok, I think the Troubleshooting class is 4 days, but you get the idea.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I fortunately or unfortunately fall squarely into this category. I have already done VCAP-DCA, but in late 2012, so I'm expiring with the rest of these guys. I don't have time to prepare for VCAP-DCD or another VCP track on which I do not have much OTJ experience.

So, I either take a test containing only new 5.5 changes, or the full test covering all VCP concepts that would include more familiar stuff (I'm still on 5.1 in my environments). Tough decision.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    anyone took this one so far?
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took this today. I expected it to be a very easy test since you took it online and they don't give you much more than a minute per question. I was very, very wrong. They drill you on the things that are different between 5/5.1 and 5.5. There were NO gimmes or easy quick recall facts that help you manage time. I didn't get to finish the review process. You don't really get enough time to do more than one or two readings of each question.

I feel lucky to have passed. I really expected to need to clear my schedule for next sunday as well.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    SamMerlotteSamMerlotte Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What did you use to prepare, tbgree00? Grats, btw.
  • Options
    I've just passed it as well, 473 / 500. Don't think it's that hard, especially if you work in 5.5 environment every day.
    For my preperation, I've obtained Sybex VCP-DCV 5.5 Study guide, didn't read it completely, only the parts where I missed some topics, and I've thoroughly reviewed Blueprint v1.1, especially VSAN and vCenter Operations Manager, since I don't use those two at all.

I am lucky that I am not a native speaker, so I've had 120 minutes for exam, but spent only 45.
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did the free what's new in 5.5 foundations training from mylearn.vmware.com, I read through my weaknesses in the Mastering vSphere 5.5, I also did the Hands on labs at HOL.vmware.com for VSAN, disaster recovery, and distributed vswitch. All of these are things from the blueprint that I don't exactly work with daily. I'm lucky that we sell and work with iSCSI, use Ops Manager, and I've done ten or so 5.X to 5.5 updates and work with the appliance.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com