Getting started with a career as a network analyst

kenpeterskenpeters Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi people. I'm a young graduate with keen passion for technology and innovations, and on this I intend to purse a career as a network analyst... But how do I get started and what certifications are needed to begin with?
Thanks all

Comments

• arrogantbastardarrogantbastard Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey, so how did you land on network analyst? What is your professional experience or personal experience? Is school in your future? Certifications =/= an automatic job, just keep that in mind.
  • omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    I'm a little confused. Areyou a network analyst now or just want to be one? Whatever it is, get our CCNA, CCNP. CCNA Security & VCP-DCV....can't go wrong with those certs at all.
  • kenpeterskenpeters Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I actually graduated with a Bsc in Physics and Electronics Technology and with interest in computers. So I really love and want to build a career in networking and hopefully become an analyst. And also get an Msc in Management in future. I jst need a counsel on how I can get started.
  • tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    Hello,

Reading through your post I see your degree is somewhat related and somewhat not related at all. So overall it's good that you have it but you will need to build up on some IT concepts and knowledge of your own. I suggest starting with CompTIA A+ and Network+ material. Once you're comfortable with those I would strongly advise to take the exams and get the certifications. With those certifications you can start applying for an entry level job and start working your way towards what you actually want to be (Network Analyst).

Also it's not easy but I would see if you could possibly shadow a network analyst for a day or do something a long those lines. I did it in high school and it helped me really decided what I liked and didn't like about that position. Overall you're in a good place, you have a good degree and you should be able to pick up on concepts quickly.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    "Bsc in Physics and Electronics Technology"
    Are you interested in Information Technology Networks or Physical networks?
    You're degree could be very handy for actual physical networks (I'm talking about frequencies, waves, signaling, etc).
    If you're into the IF part, then I would suggest starting with the usual I.T. basic cert combo, you know.. A+, Net+, CCNA, maybe some MS cert.
    I would suggest Linux+ and Wireshark there too for the analysis. Also stuff like SNORT and robtex (ppl still use this?)
    meh
  • arrogantbastardarrogantbastard Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    "Bsc in Physics and Electronics Technology"
    Are you interested in Information Technology Networks or Physical networks?
    You're degree could be very handy for actual physical networks (I'm talking about frequencies, waves, signaling, etc).
    If you're into the IF part, then I would suggest starting with the usual I.T. basic cert combo, you know.. A+, Net+, CCNA, maybe some MS cert.
    I would suggest Linux+ and Wireshark there too for the analysis. Also stuff like SNORT and robtex (ppl still use this?)
    Kind of a waste of money if you do Net+ only to plan to do CCNA shortly after, might as well save yourself the $300 or whatever they charge for it.