Options

Joel's CCIE Data Center journey

Comments

• Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Lots of MDS last few days, labs, config guides and videos. Zoning is cake, I've been doing that for years (and just got pegged to help with new director class Brocades for a datacneter move), but port security, etc? Making me pull out my hair
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Do you mean ordinary layer 2 port security?
  • Options
    MDS port security for FC, whicdh has all kinds of fun order of operations, enabling and disabling CFS, etc
  • Options
    Crazy busy week here (20+ hours consulting, plus regular full time day job), so no lab time, but I was able to leave IPExpert videos going on other screen the whole time. I also added two more blades to a UCS/Vmware (Smartstack) deployment, and they had said they wanted best networking speeds possible, so took advantage of chance to setup VM-FEX. Created new service profile template, new dynamic vnic connection policy, new FC HBAs (adding FC backup storage device), etc. I'd done all of it before, with the exception of VM-FEX, but still good practice while I watched Jason and Rick talking about UCS.
  • Options
    BryandoBryando Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Why is your blog tripping the work filters as P*rnn? What is going on in there?
  • Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    Joel,

How difficult do you think of Unified Fabric stuff for someone with R&S/Security background?
    SAN and virtualization stuff are just blowing my mind...Layer 2 and layer 3 topics seems like inferior to ROUTE and SWITCH exams, but as I see the exams focus way more on technologies that I have had no exposure at all (FC, MDS, VM stuff) icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    ha, there's certainly no **** on my blog. I suspect your filter flags everything on tumblr as adult, as that's where I have it hosted right now.
  • Options
    d4nz1g, it's definitely a change in mindset. Obviously, Nexus and FIs in ethernet mode, should be no issue for you. But storage is definitely another beats. Luckily, pretty much any of the instructors out there (INE, IPExpert, etc) are network guys first too, so all of the training is really written for R&S people. So while there's definitely a learning curve, you're in the admirable position that the training is all specifically targeted at that learning curve for you. So it's definitely doable, as shown by the R&S people that INE and IPExpert have gotten to pass the tests
  • Options
    BryandoBryando Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah... tumbler.... just realized. Wish I could see it. I will check it out later. Thanks.
  • Options
    Just finished the last of the IPExpert videos, and have three four hour rack rentals this week (tech lab monday, mock lab yesterday, tech lab tomorrow). Putting on the Youtube playlists I had created while I work at installing all of the apps on my "new" (reissued) laptop from work. 79 days to go
  • Options
    Just got approval for the IPExpert online bootcamp 3/23-3/27, which puts it just over two weeks before my test. Hopefully it will give me a final polish, but still give me time to practice anything that I still need to in the final two weeks.
  • Options
    Just started going through the IPX videos a second time. Slogging through every forum, study group, configuration guide, etc on one monitor, while I have Jason/Rick playing on other monitor.
  • Options
    4 weeks out and I'm cautiously confident. Just took a read thorugh the blueprint, notating any topic that I'm not confident in (all of which I can do, I just might need to refer to techdocs, or spend more time with context sensitive help than I want).

Confident with this proportion of each section
    65% of Section 1
    70% of section 2
    54% of section 3
    100% of section 4
    100% of section 5

When you add in the weightings (30,20,10,30,10), that puts me at 78.9%. I think I just might do this. :) IPExpert bootcamp is next week, then I have another 2.5 weeks of labs and then I'm off to San Jose
  • Options
    lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    Sounds like you are tracking along nicely!

Do you have the IPX montly subscription or did you buy one of the yearly deals when they were available? I'm tempted to get a subscription in addition to my INE AAP as the DC videos feel a little short on some information. Out of three main areas (UCS, nexus, storage), the storage videos with INE are probably the best.
  • Options
    I had the monthly subscription for one month, but then when work bought the bootcamp that gave me two years of video access.
  • Options
    Last week was the IPExpert CCIE Data center bootcamp, and I definitely think it was money well spent, even with interruptions from work and family (I took the online course). Jason Lunde did a great job of teaching the course, and I definitely feel more confident in my knowledge (though it was a SMART group of guys in the class, so definitely felt overshadowed on some of the stuff), and ability to take this test.

This week has been more on note taking and final preparation that way. I'm going through techdocs now, reviewing things I'm still rusty on, or just making sure I can quickly navigate to stuff that I know I won't memorize (FC-SP, OTV FHRP isolation, etc). I'm taking Jason's suggestion of a notebook full of vanilla configs for the various technologies to study before bed the night before. Even the process of creating that is pointing out some mistakes, as well as just being tired. Don't ask me why I thought at 6am Sunday morning that confirming IP reachability had anything to do with setting up a basic FEX config.

17 days and counting
  • Options
    How goes the prep?
  • Options
    Did a mock lab last week and ended up with 67% (but that was with 6 hours and no recheck), almost all just stupid little details that I didn't read clearly enough. So far this week I've just been going through blueprint and reading configuration guides for anything I'm still not really confident in, as well as letting training videos play on other screen and putty open for anything I need to test (have IPExpert/Labgera racks every day until test, as well as N1KV/UCSPE here at home).

I'm cautiously confident. Worst case, I should have it in two tries, best case, I should pass next week and I'll add the CCIE party to my CLUS schedule. :)
  • Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    Sweet!

How did you prep for UCS topics? UCSPE only? Any books/docs?
  • Options
    UCS is actually my strongest suit, as we put in our first chassis at work back in 2010, and I've been using it ever since (up to 9 chassis in 4 clusters at day job, and work on two other clusters). Even so, I still use UCSPE for most of my lab work, as of course I don't want to make service impacting changes on production systems. UCSPE is by far the best emulator Cisco has ever released
  • Options
    Today was my last mock lab slot. Used IPExperts lab 3, and scored ~84% (a couple of things I solved differently than writer, particularly QOS, but my solution appeared to still meet the requirements) in 4hrs 24 minutes. As always, need to pay more attention to details, but I'm feeling pretty good for next week.
  • Options
    siggnationsiggnation Member Posts: 182
    Good luck tomorrow Joel! icon_thumright.gif
    Currently Reading:

CCIE Routing and Switching Written Exam v. 5.1
    CCIE Routing and Switching 5.0 OCG, Vol. I
    Cisco Lan Switching
  • Options
    Good lord is this tomorrow?!

Best of luck, bring it home, man!
  • Options
    Best of luck Joel!
  • Options
    THanks guys, but we're going to put that down as a first attempt. :/ Second attempt is scheduled for September (And I"ll be checking for earlier dates). Labbing starts again Monday. Taking notes now trying to figure out what I got wrong (Based on things I know I had wrong, annd things I wasn't sure about, trying to match up to what I know my score was). Have to try to figure it all out while memory of the topics and points for each is fresh.
  • Options
    Bad luck dude but nice attitude rescheduling straight away. Have a few days to kick back and relax with family and friends, make a plan of your weak areas (your score sheet should indicate these I'm guessing) and hit them hard.
  • Options
    Damn! I was feeling good for you too icon_sad.gif

Rescheduling straight away is a good sign though, never give up!
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Yeah, I was definitely disappointed, but I refused to let it get me down. I've invested too much time (mine and my family's) in this to give up now. I refuse to be someone who just puts CCIE Written on their resume (which I refuse to do on it's own rights ;) ) and gives up on passing the lab.

I've already got lab open recreating one of the tasks I had issues with.
  • Options
    Excellent attitude - I was the same. When I left the lab I was convinced I'd failed and I was already planning my trip to Belgium...
  • Options
    Yeah, now I just need an earlier date to open up. :) Closest I found was September. Between labbing stuff out again, I'm busy refreshing CCIE page hoping a closer date pops up that I can hop on, even if it means flying out tomorrow