New Job: Security Engineer

2»

Comments

• NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    I personally think thats lousy pactice. I could see taking your admin rights and access to sensitive areas...so on and so fourth. But an immediate dismissal?

I would have a going away gathering and let you help others transition into your role before you left. That is if you were leaving on good terms. I think that releasing people immediately gives the impression that you were a dime a dozen. Not healthy for you or current employees.

To each his own, I think it is poor business practice unless you were a direct security threat.

It's actually more common then you think. I personally don't agree with it either, but I totally see the justification behind it. This is particularly true if you work for anyone in the sales engineering world (VARs, Consulting, etc). They don't want you taking customer lists, company assets, or anything else which can be quickly procured if you aren't walked off site right away.

It happens though.

@cyber - enjoy the two weeks off!
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    100% amicable. The CISO made the call and I completely understand.

The CISO sounds a little bitter to me...and upset that you left. Oh well....two weeks of paid vacation is always good.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    My manager and the IT Architecture VP were very apologetic and felt shitty about the whole thing. They must've told me more than 10 times it wasn't their call. Again, I understand and hold no grudge. I look at the positive side of this in two ways:

1) can cite it as an example when making the case for the possibility of immediate dismissal
    2) now I can spend more time on Techexams. Woohoo!!!!
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    It's standard practice to essentially give you a two week paid vacation when you have the keys to the kingdom. This is not to be confused with immediately firing someone without pay when they put in their notice.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Felicidades! Always glad to see another IT professional progress.

Hopefully will get to a point like that some when in my career.
    meh
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Gratz! The market is white hot right now.

I had an offer for a 2 year contract in Houston for Exxon for 160,000 annual. I make less than a 100,000 now. I put my hat in last Thursday just for the fun of it.

Lot's of money to be had right now.

Back to you, exciting times!
  • arrogantbastardarrogantbastard Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Gratz! The market is white hot right now.

I had an offer for a 2 year contract in Houston for Exxon for 160,000 annual. I make less than a 100,000 now. I put my hat in last Thursday just for the fun of it.

Lot's of money to be had right now.

Back to you, exciting times!
    Any security is only getting recognized more and more every day with each new headline:)
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Any security is only getting recognized more and more every day with each new headline:)

I know right. Each time I see a new headline, I smile. Job security and salaries increasing for us experienced InfoSec professionals.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yep, if you are in infosec with a decent amount of experience and some skills, 6 figures is totally doable, even in lower cost of living areas.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just for clarification I am in data but still both fields are scortching hot.
  • DrethylDrethyl Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats to you cyberguy. Even though I'm not in the security field yet I hope to be soon after graduation. It seems like as the weeks go by I see more and more about security online and on tv which causes even more of a demand. It's a really good feeling being in such a hot field right now this is the time to reap the rewards.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A bit late to the party, but congratulations for the new gig mate! Looks like a great role!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations man, I'm really happy for you
  • ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    He's just bitter!! It makes it easier on you, you just washed your hands of that company. I kind of wish they would do that to me when I quit, but I'm sure they'll ask me to take my Blackberry with me for a "short" time.

Congrats on the new job!! And definitely enjoy that time off. Give your mind a little rest time, maybe some relax studying and of course hit up the forums! icon_cool.gif

Cheers to you mate!!
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the new gig. Use this 2 weeks off to go butt wild!!!
    Thanks to those slackers joining the party late icon_smile.gif

Another story I wanted to share involves a recruiter. This guy hit me up for a position with a health care related company that looked interesting. Also a mix of policy/compliance and tech hands-on stuff. He submitted by resume to the client and then nothing happened for a week. He then calls me with another similar role with a law firm. I've never been fond of the legal environment but since the role and pay looked enticing I agreed to have him submit my resume. The next day he leaves me a voicemail indicating that the law firm wants to do a 15 min phone screen the following day. Now, this call happened the same day that I accepted the other position and I was extremely busy so ended up listening to the voicemail late at night. I then sent an email indicating that I just secured a position and that I was withdrawing from the candidate pool and thanked him for the time and effort spent presenting me to his clients. To this day I haven't received an email or call congratulating me or anything. Looks like the kind of guy that if you get hurt while exploring the jungle will leave you behind for the wild animals to feast on you in order to save his ass. This is why I wish all car salesmen and recruiters would go on a one-way trip to another planet and never come back.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    Congratulations! Interesting stories about your dismissal and recruiters!

Do you think you could've gotten this position without the CISSP and GCIH? were they a job requirement?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

Actually this is one of the few positions I looked at which didn't require certs. Having said that they did mention how great it was that I had CISSP and SANS certs. I think it also helped that I was doing another SANS class the very next Monday after the interview. Sold them on continuous improvement and stuff.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    Brilliant! Do you pay for SANS classes out of pocket or does your employer pay for them?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

They paid for two. I paid for one. All through work study program.
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Being dismissed from your duties as soon as your resignation notice is turned in may seem rude, but it's not uncommon. Staff who have access to sensitive or classified information can also be seen as a liability from an HR perspective as well, so while socially it sounds like a slap in the face, as a practical matter this is a common established business procedure when confidential operational information involved.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am super late, but congrats nonetheless!!!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    Interesting and unexpected turn of events. Yesterday my old company let 20 people go. This is a 200 employee company so it's a lot. Given I was the last hire in my team it looks like I dodge a bullet. Well, more like a cannonball.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    That really takes your breathe away...would your previous position (the one you just left) have been among those?

Even if not...talk about timing! Wow.
  • anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats man! And this just goes to show that all things happen for a reason.
  • auxiliarypriestauxiliarypriest Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats... Hope to follow a similar path.
    2020 Goals: [x ] C|HFI [x] CySA+ [x ] MSCSIA
    Connect with me on Linkedin, just say you're from TechExams