Options

Lack of Job Opportunities in Canada or USA

Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
Good evening everyone,

Having now 15 months of experience and recently being A+ certified, I would like to ask what the job market in the IT sector may be in the near future. Right now, here in Canada, there isn't many big demand for new candidates where I live (Manitoba). I have just submitted my application to get back to college to finish my 2 year program. Once I obtain my degree, I am hoping to get my Bsc in IT. What bugs me, is, is there a more demand for IT specializations in storage and security in the States than up here in Canada? Something tells me I may have to move just to have a job. I'll admit it: I currently work part time at Geek Squad and I'm only 22. Embarrassing isn't it? I know I should have a higher paying job like my 3 month hospital position I had from February-May, but it's hard to find work like this around here these days. Can anyone please clarify on what my best option would be as a last resort?
Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill

Comments

• Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Nothing wrong with working at Geek Squad. A quick Indeed search for Help Desk positions in Manitoba:

Help Desk Jobs in Manitoba | Indeed.com
  • Options
    I had a look, and alot of them have to do with Administration. Have there been any members on here that have immigrated to the US or vice versa just to get an IT job?

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Ah I initially missed the point, sorry! Sometimes I forget to convey my thought process (my brain moves faster than my fingers :P)..I posted the help desk jobs because it seems like a path that you might need to start off with, before you can move into a system administration role then to a security and/or storage role. I guess I should ask what role do you play at your current job? Are you a front desk associate or are you working on hardware in the back?

They way I see it (which isn't the end all be all, just based on my experience, so take it for what its worth) you'll need to either convince someone you have enough knowledge, get really lucky, or progress to a position where you can get experience in either field (even though it may not be extensive at first and you can do it while finishing your degree) before moving into specialized role of storage or security.

I can't really speak on the point of relocating for another position as I haven't experienced thaticon_sad.gif.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Let me ask you this, what kind of job experience do you have in the IT field?

if you don't have any, applying for help desk jobs while not what you really want to do long term is what you need to apply for so you 'get your foot in the door' and to get job experience.

Most of the time employer's want people with skills and the ability to learn, certifications are great but without job-experience they don't mean much. Moral of the story, start small and then work your way upward. This has been the the case with me and how I've progressed.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Honestly, I'm not sure that you would be best suited to immigrate to the US for a job as there are areas of Canada where the job market isn't bad. Manitoba would be a tough place as there aren't many larger urban areas that have a big IT presences and better markets. Immigrating isn't always the easiest thing to do as the paperwork and the waiting can be quite time consuming. Also, you will find that many companies, and especially recruiters that will not sponsor for a position so you do lose out on those opportunities as well. Keep in mind, even if I wanted to immigrate to Canada from the US and get a job, it is a difficult job as well as I looked into that when I was younger. Having a Bachelor Degree would have made the process easier, but at that time I did not have that so my chances to prove that I was more qualified than other residents of that country. Have you considered possibly relocating to a different area in Canada? I'm not sure if you have a preference for the east or western parts of the country, but there are many areas where the IT jobs would be more plentiful and easier to get and not have to worry or deal with the hassle of going through the approvals, paperwork, lawyer fees, etc.

Basically if you want to stay close, you need to find out the major employers in your area and watch their careers sections on their websites frequently as IT does have a presence, even in smaller communities, just that your options are more limited out there. Are you in the Winnipeg area? I'd wonder if there wasn't some sort of opportunity there.
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nafe92014, I live in Montreal and the market is great here. I almost get a call per day from recruiters and companies. I started off without even being A+ certified and I was able to land a help desk job, but I am billingual so that helped me here but I'm sure the market is great elsewhere in Canada as well. And to let you know, I'm 22 as well and there's nothing wrong working at Geek Squad, you are gaining experience and that's what counts.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Go east or west you'd find work no problem...
  • Options
    At my current job, I work the setup and repairs. I also deal with sign ins at the counter. @DeathImage, I have intermediate experience in the IT field so far. Mainly hardware related and help desk related. When I was ICT Tech II for 3 months at the hospital, my main role was help desk support but was more like 25% remote support, 50% on site support, and 25% phone support. @MeanDrunkR2D2, I have thought about relocating to the Ottawa area, as a relative of mine owns a networking business that deals with Watchguard firewalls. All of his engineers are Cisco and MCP certified though. I guess I made a smart life choice in starting IT at age 19 instead of like 29, lol.

• Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    Not very many jobs you will find here in the US with just A+. Get you a CCNA & MCSA if you can & then start looking.

Nafe92014 wrote: »
    Good evening everyone,

Having now 15 months of experience and recently being A+ certified, I would like to ask what the job market in the IT sector may be in the near future. Right now, here in Canada, there isn't many big demand for new candidates where I live (Manitoba). I have just submitted my application to get back to college to finish my 2 year program. Once I obtain my degree, I am hoping to get my Bsc in IT. What bugs me, is, is there a more demand for IT specializations in storage and security in the States than up here in Canada? Something tells me I may have to move just to have a job. I'll admit it: I currently work part time at Geek Squad and I'm only 22. Embarrassing isn't it? I know I should have a higher paying job like my 3 month hospital position I had from February-May, but it's hard to find work like this around here these days. Can anyone please clarify on what my best option would be as a last resort?
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Nafe92014 wrote: »
    A@MeanDrunkR2D2, I have thought about relocating to the Ottawa area, as a relative of mine owns a networking business that deals with Watchguard firewalls. All of his engineers are Cisco and MCP certified though. I guess I made a smart life choice in starting IT at age 19 instead of like 29, lol.

Sounds like you do have a plan for the future, and it definitely helps to have an "IN" in a location. It may not be with that company, but I'm sure they have contacts that they would give you a good reference for. Alot of times, it's not what you know, but who you know. Focus on your studies, and if you decide to finish your BsC, it may be worth it to look at going to a university in a bigger area, like Ottawa, where you can get an internship at a local company while you finish off your degree.

And yes, it was a good idea to start younger than older. By the time you are 29 you'll have a solid decade of experience under your belt and be further ahead than I was at that time as I graduated and started in IT when I was 28. Yea, that "semester off" turned into a few years lol. Work hard on your education and it will pay off in spades for you. And also, it's never a bad thing to knock out a few certs if you find time to do that with your schooling. Good luck!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It seems like experienced IT professionals are in demand in many areas, but starting out is tough going initially. The first job may feel like you are being underpaid or underappreciated. Getting administration work early on is tough; there is likely going to be high helpdesk/call center/bench tech component to whatever position you hold early on.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...