Options

New job!

VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
About 2 months ago I left a sys admin position to pursue some networking experience with cloud service provider and it was probably the worst mistake I've made in my career. So I'm heading back to systems administration as a Red Hat admin! icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Options
    Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, mate! Best of luck. icon_thumright.gif
    Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • Options
  • Options
    tomtom1tomtom1 Member Posts: 375
    Verities wrote: »
    About 2 months ago I left a sys admin position to pursue some networking experience with cloud service provider and it was probably the worst mistake I've made in my career. So I'm heading back to systems administration as a Red Hat admin! icon_cheers.gif

If you don't mind me asking, why was it a mistake? Networking not your deal?
  • Options
    TalonizeTalonize Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man!

Interesting that I'm not the only one that doesn't like the whole cloud provider role. What did you not like about it? Was it providing the support?

Just curious
  • Options
    @tomtom1 - The networks I'm working on are huge and being a novice in the networking field, I'm constantly overwhelmed when dealing with multiple sites across the world experiencing outages or other issues. I have to figure out the cause of each of them, determine if it an internet circuit issue, local site issue, or MPLS issue, then escalate to the proper contact. Being on shift alone and not being able to call on people for help is stressing me the eff out.

@Talonize -You're expected to do a lot of work for a little amount of money, you have a small time slot to resolve an issue, and there's no team atmosphere. Lastly, you would think every customer has the same priority (regardless of which services you provide), but that is not the case. Without breaking NDA, I can't explain further so I'll let you take a stab at how they determine it :P.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Verities wrote:
    I can't explain further so I'll let you take a stab at how they determine it :P.

Ah, always the same. The prettier the secretary, the better the support. :D
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats with the new gig.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations on the new job!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the new gig.. Im trying to break into networking, coming from a sysadmin role.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    snunez889 wrote: »
    congrats on the new gig.. Im trying to break into networking, coming from a sysadmin role.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone!!
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Congrats Verities! Do you know what responsibilities your new role will entail?
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    lsud00d wrote: »
    Congrats Verities! Do you know what responsibilities your new role will entail?

Thanks!

Yes, I'll be supporting Red Hat infrastructure that host security applications for the DoD.