Options

Just passed Sec+ today, now I need advice?

joe979joe979 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just took the exam and passed with an 825. I studied Gibson's book, plus his Get Certified Get Ahead | Get Certified Get Ahead Premium Content along with some online test questions(including CompTIA's free questions). If I had to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing.

Though at this point, I need some direction on what test to study for next. Years ago I worked for a small computer shop, but now I work at a City hospital in a capacity that has "0" to do with IT.

I was thinking about taking Server+, because the knowledge would help in getting and keeping an IT job(with my hospital or somewhere else in the city system), plus I have a few old servers to fool around with to help.

I'd also like to get another Security cert, and I see Cloud computing is popular. But I just don't know what to do next. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joe

Comments

• Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    Hi Joe,

Firstly congrats on the pass. I wouldn't take the Server+, if you want a Server exam, take the Microsoft exams. Those are more credible and well known than the CompTIA Server+. Secondly, I would try to find Help Desk positions to really get yourself emerged into the IT field. Try to look for entry level positions, seeing your certification set, and now the completion of the CompTIA trifecta, you can really apply yourself out in the IT world and hope for a call someday soon regarding a job offer.

Best regards,

Justin
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I'd work on a VCP/CCNA/MCSA next and then go from there.... now that you got a broad spectrum of knowledge focus back inward on a vendor and specialize...
  • Options
    karl88karl88 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Skip Server+. It hasn’t been updated in over five years.

I’m going to go for Linux+ next followed by CCNA, but that may change depending on whether I get an IT job. I’m doing minimum wage garbage right now. Get whatever you want though. For servers, you’re best off getting an MCSA. For security, go for the SSCP next. I had a job interview where he asked me how much I know about servers. Well, I didn’t have server experience. I thought the interview went very well, but I didn’t get the job.
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did the Server+ but it was a waste of money in my opinion. Yes I learned from reading the book but not worth it paying for the exam. I think I've seen only once a job description asking for Server+.