Options

Just started building myself a lab - do I need anything else?

Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
Hi all,

Just started putting a lab together at home, so far I've got...

1 x 1841
1 x 2621XM
2 x 2950

My 1841 is brand new and has IOS 15, everything else is used an on 12.4 (off the top of my head!). At the moment I haven't got any cards for the routers so I guess I'll need to get myself a couple of WIC-1T's but is there anything else I need? In an ideal world I'll like to expand my rack and use it to get me through CCNP as well as both the CCNA & NP voice - I'm currently working in a voice role.

I'll be claiming some of the cost of the lab back so cost isn't the primary concern, more getting a lab that does the job and can be expanded to meet the requirements as I progress through the certs.

Cheers,

Alex

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have never looked into voice but I think the router type is important for that. Some other members might have looked into that already so I'll leave it to someone else to give that advice.

Your all set to start CCENT and CCNA. You will probably want a 3rd router but wait and get one that works with voice.

Later for CCNP I believe you will need 2 layer 3 switches but they are going to revise that too so you should not worry about them yet. They are not needed for CCNA. Might as well wait to see the new exam objectives when they are out.
  • Options
    Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
    Thanks.

Maybe something like a 29xx router would be a good addition and would hopefully last to get me through CCNP voice?
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    for voice your going to want to get a 2800 router. 2811/21/51 with at least 512 dram/ 128 cf memory and of course more is always better. the 2851's are pretty cheap as long as they aren't being shipped
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    clarson wrote: »
    for voice your going to want to get a 2800 router. 2811/21/51 with at least 512 dram/ 128 cf memory and of course more is always better. the 2851's are pretty cheap as long as they aren't being shipped
    Definitely have seen 2800 series for voice...although I am not extremely familiar with voice, I do know you need CME on the router.