Options

Worried about pace of IT, Cloud, jack of all trades

I work as a 3rd line engineer but am starting to worry about pace of IT and everything moving towards cloud. I work mainly with compute and storage but do some networking as well. I can't seem to decide on an area to specialize in and also want to choose something that is worthwhile in invest time in - anyone reach a cross road like this?

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you like being a jack of all trades why not specialize in virtualization? If you want to work with virtualization you had better know storage, systems and networking to operate at a high level.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    NersesianNersesian Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Virtualization and cloud tech go together like peas and carrots.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Not everything is going cloud bro.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Its just another shift in the IT field and as phoeneous said not everything is going to the cloud (which is just a sexy marketing term for managed services). Even if services go off site, companies still need people to manage the platforms and hardware that run/host the services. It sounds like your background would be perfect for taking your skill set in the direction of specializing in a virtualization platform anyways. If anything you should be stoked at the prospect of your skill set being more relevant now than ever! :D
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Services are clearly going off site I have seen it first hand at a number of businesses I have consulted for and directly work for. With that said Verities said it best, someone will have to support it.
  • Options
    bgold87bgold87 Member Posts: 112
    Yea, I don't think much is going to change except the way you connect to it. I manage our Azure servers the same as the on premise ones.
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think the big 3 now are;

Networking
    Virtualization
    Security

Have a mid level grasp on 2, hyper-focus on the 1.
    :twisted:
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @darkerz, great advice there. Add Big Data to his list. That thing's taking off too.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com