Options

Searching for the future in my field, perhaps a "greenhorn" question....

LevithanLevithan Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi there everybody!

I work in a small company (less than 60 people) that offers mainly DMVPN solutions to other companies. I do alot of MACD stuff within our customers networks, as well as Firewall (fortinet) and riverbed configurations and changes. I'm currently also working on my CCNP, and am about halfway through the TCP/IP volume 1 book at the moment.

I guess my question is (and maybe its a silly one), but how does this experience sound for the current/future job market? I'm not currently looking for work, and I have alot of things I still need to learn before thinking of heading somewhere else, but I'm always thinking about the future.

I did a search on a few job boards (also dice) and have only seen DMVPN listed a few times. Seeing as how it is a fairly "new" technology, I was a bit surprised to see how few jobs there were listing it.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CCNP and Riverbed are of course going to be useful, though mostly corporate jobs (at least for Riverbed. Cisco is getting more smaller gear out there). Fortinet is going to be more useful for smaller networks. They're definitely all going to be somewaht useful and future proof
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Networking - Routers, Switches - Layer 3 Routing, Layer 2 Switching.
    Firewalls - FortiGate, FortiAuthenticator, FortiManager, FortiAnalyzer - Objects, Groups, Policies, VPN's & FW Services.
    Riverbeds - WAN & LAN Optimization, Business Services

If you know the interfaces, CLI's and GUI's, that's +1.

If you know the administration, break/fix and mac'd of the above, that's +1.

If you then know the advanced theory, technology and design of the above, that's +5.

Great & Marketable skillsets. I would look into growing those.
    :twisted: