Options

Can we self study CheckPoint Firewall certification?

1. Are we allowed to self study and then take the exams? Or is it a criteria we have to take up official course (like VMware) before we are allowed/recognized for exam taking?

2. If we are allowed to self study and then take the exams, how can we go about doing the labs on our own?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    1. There is no requirement to attend an official course before taking the exam.

2. You can setup a lab using one of the many virtualization platforms available. The Check Point software is available for free.
  • Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Dear DPG, thank you very much for your input, it helps me to research more on it. Thanks again! :)
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Thanks DPG. I just accepted a position at a place that uses CheckPoint so I will be digging into it as well.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The downside on self study is that there isn't as much study material available as for other courses. There's a set of R75 videos on Udemy and R76 on CBT Nuggets, but books and lab exercises are lacking (or i've just not come across).

I was lucky enough to have my employer purchase the official Check Point CCSA study material for a mere $600. Great resource though! Should be repeating for CCSE in 2015.
  • Options
    OmarAhmedOmarAhmed Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can't get CCSE materials on check point store, anybody know where to get CCSE Gaia Study material for purchase ?
  • Options
    shridhar76shridhar76 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Please set up a lab and do hands on practical on Checkpoint then go for exam . As in exam so many questions are related to Checkpoint UI based so until it will help you to pass the exam.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DPG wrote: »
    2. You can setup a lab using one of the many virtualization platforms available. The Check Point software is available for free.

I setup an account, but I still can't download the R77 or R76 VM software. So what do you mean by "free"? :D
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    BobMeadBobMead Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    jezbrumjezbrum Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am trying to get VMs with multiple NICS to communicate adn am using VMWare player but even though I have configured 2 different IP subnets on same virtual switch for each subnet I cannot even ping between the 2 directly connected addresses (on different Windows VMs). Have checked with someone who works with VMs and they seem to think that my approach is correct. Does anyone have any ideas? The reason I mentioned VMs in a Checkpoint forum is because this is so I can install multiple Checkpoint devices.