Options

WGU -MBA Tech Management--about to start.

Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi all,

Starting on the 1st of November. Any survival tips from those of you who have pursued a grad degree through WGU? How long did it take you to finish the program?

My situation... wife.... no kids... no real distractions... just work. Is 1 year feasible? I asked the admissions person if people knock it out in a year... she said several have... which is encouraging.

Which classes did you find most challenging?

Looking forward to the challenge... appreciate any tips/suggestions you all have.

Thanks.,
Hatch

Comments

• Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    My mentor for the BS-IT track did it and said it took him about a year. Similar situation. . . wife, pets, no kids.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    I am in the MS:ISA program. Just officially started on Oct. 1, wrapping up my first class now. You should get full access to the website within the next week or two. Pick out the class you want to do first, research all the assignments associated with, and have stuff ready to turn in on day 1.
    Keep that momentum up and 1 year shouldn't be a problem. I am speaking of the WGU IT graduate degrees in general as I don't have any knowledge or experience with your specific program.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    I've been looking into online Master's programs, was thinking about the MSISA at WGU, but I think I'm more interested in the Masters of Science in Cyber Security (concentration Cyber Intelligence) from Univ of South Florida.
  • Options
    Many thanks all for the info. I will set the goal to knock this out in a year... should be a fun adventure.

Thanks again.
    Hatch
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Please let us know how the program goes for you. I am interested in this one after I finish the MS: IT Management degree. I hear that the MBA is considerably more difficult than the MS. Good luck!
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    srabiee wrote: »
    MS: IT Management degree. I hear that the MBA is considerably more difficult than the MS. Good luck!

Why are you doing back to back managerial IT degrees? I am all for continuing education indefinitely but I can't see the benefit in this.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    The MBA focuses a lot more on the business side (economics, accounting, marketing, financial management) whereas the MS is more specialized and is more technical. It's always an option down the road if I decide to go that route.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Well... about 1/2 way through this fun adventure. I use the term "fun" lightly! LOL School has been a challenge with work and life in general. That's alright though... I think in the end it will be worth it. Taking a final in a couple of hours... just thought I would drop in and update the old thread.

Hatch
  • Options
    How do you rate the degree as a whole so far, and what do you think about the courses and the course material?

I can't really say that I would recommend the MS:ITM degree at this point. The courses just seem to be too unfocused, some of the course material is downright useless, and frankly I'm pretty bored of it only halfway in. I did not have any of these issues with the BS:ND&M degree. I recommend a complete overhaul for this degree. They really need to include some certs, some objective assessments (exams), more technical courses, and stop relying solely on writing so many damned papers. I'm suffering from some pretty hardcore fatigue right now (again, I DID NOT have this problem with the BS degree, not even in the least bit) and I'm really looking forward to this thing being over and done with. Yes I'm going to power through it and finish it. I don't quit what I start. My wife and I are taking a week long vacation at the end of the month and traveling out of state, and I'm hoping I will return somewhat refreshed after that.

• Options
    srabiee wrote: »
    How do you rate the degree as a whole so far, and what do you think about the courses and the course material?

I can't really say that I would recommend the MS:ITM degree at this point. The courses just seem to be too unfocused, some of the course material is downright useless, and frankly I'm pretty bored of it only halfway in. I did not have any of these issues with the BS:ND&M degree. I recommend a complete overhaul for this degree. They really need to include some certs, some objective assessments (exams), more technical courses, and stop relying solely on writing so many damned papers. I'm suffering from some pretty hardcore fatigue right now (again, I DID NOT have this problem with the BS degree, not even in the least bit) and I'm really looking forward to this thing being over and done with. Yes I'm going to power through it and finish it. I don't quit what I start. My wife and I are taking a week long vacation at the end of the month and traveling out of state, and I'm hoping I will return somewhat refreshed after that.

Sounds like you are having as much fun as I am. :) I'm taking 2 weeks off next month... to decompress. The MBA:ITM program has been fairly decent. Exciting....no... informative... yes. At this point in time... I would recommend the degree program to those individuals wanting to dive a little deeper into the business side of things. Like you... I'm want this to be over with ...and soon. LOL However, I still have a year to go. With work/life... I'm just hitting 9 credit hours a term. I'm going to attempt to take on an additional class this semester ... time permitting. I'd like to have this completed in 18 months versus 24.

Course material.... well... it hasn't been horrible. Lots and lots of reading for sure. The papers/assignments range from fairly easy to arduous. Testing... a complete PITA!!! :) Testing...for me... the pressure to answer 60 questions which comes from 22 chapters of reading has been difficult. WGU isn't lying when they want you to know the material. And that isn't a bad thing... as we should learn something from this adventure.

So... all in all... my experience so far, has been a positive one. I'm in a constant state of tired... but.. I think it will be worth it in the end.

Hang in there with your degree ... it will all be over soon enough :)

Hatch