Options

Is a Bachelors of Arts in Computer technology good?

Bchen22Bchen22 Banned Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
This Degree is from CSUDH.

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A B.S. would be considered more technical and more challenging than a B.A, but with a couple of years of professional experience it probably wouldn't matter. I checked the site and I see a B.S. listed and not a B.A.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    IMO its a BS in Computer Science, and then there is everything else.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've never heard of a BA in computers. It's certainly better than no degree. If possible, however, go for a BS. Otherwise, get the BA and some certs and then leverage the degree with experience and interview skills.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    I checked the site and I see a B.S. listed and not a B.A.

Can confirm. They offer both a BS:CS and BS:Computer Technology.

I may be a little bias but I would (did) go for the BS:CS.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    LinuxNerdLinuxNerd Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Honestly the Bachelor's Degree can be in Basket Weaving. If you have the skill set you have the skill set. College courses won't give you the knowledge you can get from a few good books on Amazon, lectures on YouTube, google searching and personal passion.
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    LinuxNerd wrote: »
    Honestly the Bachelor's Degree can be in Basket Weaving. If you have the skill set you have the skill set. College courses won't give you the knowledge you can get from a few good books on Amazon, lectures on YouTube, google searching and personal passion.

Good luck getting past HR with your basket weaving degree. Obviously, the end goal is knowledge, but denying the value of a college degree is ludicrous.

OP, nobody *NEEDS*, by the sheer definition of the word, a degree, but life with one is much easier than life without. Fact.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    zidianzidian Member Posts: 132
    IMO its a BS in Computer Science, and then there is everything else.

I couldn't agree more. B.S. in Computer Science with ABET accreditation matters. Otherwise, showing the commitment by completing a "related degree" is really all you need. BA or BS in Computer Technology would fit that bill.
    WGU BS-IT Software | Completed 9/30/2014
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tprice5 wrote: »
    Good luck getting past HR with your basket weaving degree.

I did! Well, it was actually in military history, so basket weaving would probably have been more relevant :)
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...