Options

Huge knock to my confidence - didn't get a job

si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
I'm currently working as a Security Analyst on £25k. I've been there for 6 months but the 12 hour shifts are killing me. I've put on weight because of it. So I began doing the OSCP course and applied for a junior pen testing role. The interview went VERY well if I may say so myself. I'm not even deluding myself, I was asked about XSS, SQLi, Metasploit etc. I answered around 15/20 of his interview questions perfectly.

The junior pen tester role was between £20-30k and I recieved an email today from the lady who was recruiting for the position saying that I didn't get the job because the company felt that my penetration testing knowledge was "very weak". Whilst I admit i'm not an expert hacker, or security expert, to get rejected from a job with a starting salary of 20k and for them to consider my pen-testing knowledge "very weak" was upsetting to say the least.

I'm stuck in a dead-end job at the moment and i'm unsure where to go. Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Study/practice and get better.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Keep at it, you'll get better and/or most likely you'll find a much better fit with another company. I applied for a position almost a year ago and didn't get it. Recently it's come to light they let their first choice go. He impressed the interviews more than I obviously but turned out he couldn't live up to doing the job. I was asked to take the position now that it's open however I've declined taking another position instead. It's funny how things turn out sometimes, who knows where you'll be or doing 6 months or a year from now.
  • Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks guys i'll keep at it. I'm not 100% sure I buy their reason for not hiring me. I'm not as weak as they thought. Maybe the interview just didn't go as well as I thought. It's quite hard to find well paid IT jobs at the moment, the market is saturated.
  • Options
    ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    study hard, get deep knowledge on attacking techniques (owasp is a good reference), you will get it (or even better job) next time
  • Options
    LinuxNerdLinuxNerd Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You don't want a pen test job paying that. It's a joke.

Keep building your skillset and in a years time apply for jobs paying $80k. Who cares what you're making now don't tell your future employer.

Until then develop some security python tools.

I won't take a pentest gig for anywhere under $100k. It's a lot of work and travel required which means time away from the family.
  • Options
    GorbyGorby Member Posts: 141
    I've been in your situation when I've felt discouraged because I didn't get a position. I would take the time to study more to hone your craft. Another position that may be an even better fit will open so try to keep positive.
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LinuxNerd wrote: »
    You don't want a pen test job paying that. It's a joke.

Keep building your skillset and in a years time apply for jobs paying $80k. Who cares what you're making now don't tell your future employer.

Until then develop some security python tools.

I won't take a pentest gig for anywhere under $100k. It's a lot of work and travel required which means time away from the family.

+1 for this.

I know a lot of guys doing Pentesting, they make a killing on 3-6 month contracts paying what would come out to 200,000+ a year because of the travel, lack of benefits, time sink and gaps between contracts.
    :twisted:
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Don't let it get you down. Instead use it as fuel. Make it the drive to study harder and sharpen your skills and push for that job you want. Think of it like fitness but for work skills. It takes discipline but use it as a tool to push yourself.

Just remember the dead end job isn't the end of the road, but it is a paycheck for now until you find that next step.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    "Very weak" is poor wording. Take it as an opportunity to learn more. Keep working on your skills.

PS: He's not in the US, so it's not 20K dollars. The rates are different in Europe. Different benefits, different system, incomparable to the US. £30K isn't bad in the UK.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Dallas1981Dallas1981 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Keep at it!! It will pay off soon!

si20 wrote: »
    I'm currently working as a Security Analyst on £25k. I've been there for 6 months but the 12 hour shifts are killing me. I've put on weight because of it. So I began doing the OSCP course and applied for a junior pen testing role. The interview went VERY well if I may say so myself. I'm not even deluding myself, I was asked about XSS, SQLi, Metasploit etc. I answered around 15/20 of his interview questions perfectly.

The junior pen tester role was between £20-30k and I recieved an email today from the lady who was recruiting for the position saying that I didn't get the job because the company felt that my penetration testing knowledge was "very weak". Whilst I admit i'm not an expert hacker, or security expert, to get rejected from a job with a starting salary of 20k and for them to consider my pen-testing knowledge "very weak" was upsetting to say the least.

I'm stuck in a dead-end job at the moment and i'm unsure where to go. Any advice?
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Never know what the deal was...sometimes they have to post the job and do a hand full of interviews even though they have no intention of hiring from the outside and could be promoting within. Keep at it man!
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know the feeling mate. Just keep labbing and studying and trying to get better just like the others said, because it's just a matter of time until that job comes along. If you keep doing your part to get better, smarter, sharper that job will come without you even expecting it.

"Focus on mastering your weapon, not winning the war"
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.