Options

Failed 98 365 and not sure how to get better

Hey all,

Failed my 98 365 exam this weekend by 2 points. My bigest probelm was some of the questions I had no clue on. For instance, I used the Tom Carpenter 98 365 book and some online resources here, plus technet. I never came across anything about what is required for an AD restore *ffr its the saved state* but there it was, first question on my exam. I knew I was in trouble then.

Can anyone provide any help where to find some more knowledge? I'm set to retake the exam Sat the 18th, so I don't really have time to order any new books, and honestly I feel like some of the answers I knew, but 43 questions in 50 minutes is tough.

Any help is appreciated. For what it is worth the exam study guide PDF I took those questions and batted a 94% on them, as well as 125/150 of the Carpenter questions. Needless to say, I was so discouraged when I failed last weekend. Kinda ruined my whole weekend.

Any suggestions are helpful

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    KandinskyKandinsky Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took that exam this afternoon and passed with an 83. I'm new to the certification world, it's my 4th MTA certification, I took OS fundamentals, Networking fundamentals, Security Fundamentals before the 98-365. That being said, the server test is by far the hardest IMO than any of the others. There were a couple questions that really made me scratch my head.

It seemed like a lot of questions were focused on Active Directory and also how to monitor performance so those would be areas that I would focus on. I took the measureup exams to prepare for it as well as by reading the Microsoft Training guide. It really wrecked my nerves to say the least while I was waiting for my score to come up. Like I said, I'm new to the certification game, everyone was like "oh don't worry, the MTAs are easy, they're entry level" , well maybe the others are but 98-365 doesn't feel "entry level" to me. I'd hate to see what a more advanced cert exam must be like. Ugh.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    I have a PDF copy of the Official Windows Server Admin from Microsoft. I can send it to you. Never took the test so I don't know if it'll help. Please provide me with your email address.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know it is very stressful but if you failed by two points you have to look at the positive. You know most of the information and a couple more questions would have put you over the top.

I have not taken any microsoft exams. Do they give you feedback about where you earned your points? If so use that to determine your weak points. If not just do a solid review. Write a quick list of things that stumped you on the exam. Then study them a day or two before you retake the exam so they are fresh.

Good Luck! I hope to take this exam over my winter break so I can show some Microsoft knowledge on my resume.
  • Options
    parttimetechieparttimetechie Member Posts: 156
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    I know it is very stressful but if you failed by two points you have to look at the positive. You know most of the information and a couple more questions would have put you over the top.

I have not taken any microsoft exams. Do they give you feedback about where you earned your points? If so use that to determine your weak points. If not just do a solid review. Write a quick list of things that stumped you on the exam. Then study them a day or two before you retake the exam so they are fresh.

Good Luck! I hope to take this exam over my winter break so I can show some Microsoft knowledge on my resume.

Ya, that is my one hope is that I'll learn enough for one or two more questions. I really had hoped to get a 80's% on this exam.
  • Options
    anhtran35 wrote: »
    I have a PDF copy of the Official Windows Server Admin from Microsoft. I can send it to you. Never took the test so I don't know if it'll help. Please provide me with your email address.

That would be great. I can't find a way to PM you though..
  • Options
    I uploaded it here. Can you DL?

https://mega.co.nz/#!sQVmjCia!t5SJFYGXme_zRgyhQL8oXuhFGS_leOU_gw9ZWYVvF_c

Include file key

• Options
    I uploaded it here. Can you DL?

https://mega.co.nz/#!sQVmjCia!t5SJFYGXme_zRgyhQL8oXuhFGS_leOU_gw9ZWYVvF_c

Include file key

That seems to have worked. Is this the PDF version of the textbook?

I've wanted to read this book but didn't have the time to order. Thanks so much!
  • Options
    PDF version of the text book.
  • Options
    PDF version of the text book.

Awesome. I got it, read a bit of it. From what I have read on the things I missed, did you use ONLY this to pass the exam?
    It doesn't seem to cover nearly enough based on having just taken the test. This is my biggest problem with MS exams..you read two or three books and you STILL get question you are clueless on...
  • Options
    I have not taken that exam. I just have an abundance of IT material. Sorry.
  • Options
    Just an update. I retook the 98 365 exam today and passed with a score of 91. Ironically I had the exact same 43 questions I did last time 50 minutes. Not sure if that was just a fluke or what, but it sure was great that I had studied the questions I missed.
  • Options
    mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    UGH!!! Microsoft exams, bleh!

I can relate
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...