Options

IT Conferences on Resume

Vontech615Vontech615 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
Last year I attended Intererop New York, and this year I'm going to Fusion 14. Both of these are pretty well known conferences in our industry. Would you add these to your resume and if so how would you integrate them in? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No I wouldn't and I'd probably think it was pretty cheesy if I saw someone that did.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Thanks for your input. My opinion is that it shows a commitment to professional development. It doesn't need to be any fancy listing but could maybe be incorporated in the cert/education area.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I see where you're going with it, but I still wouldn't put them in either. They aren't certs, or education. Anyone can sit and listen to people talk for a day, it doesn't really equate to job skills. You could bring it up during an interview about how passionate you are but I wouldn't list it on the resume. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yeah, you might want to leave that off your resume. Summary, Experience, Education, Skills, Certs...thats all you really need on there...and maybe Associations, but even thats not really necessary...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Only if you were the one speaking at the conference.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have never seen them listed on a resume so I am not sure how you would incorporate them.
    It's not a job skill or an interest. You would probably need to work them into the description of something rather then list them as a bullet point.

I think it's best to leave it for conversation during an interview. Take notes now. What did you see and how has it helped you. Don't bring it up and have nothing prepared to say.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Alright, I think it's safe to say it stays off. Thanks to the majority of you for constructive input.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i'm on the fence about this one. I would leave them off unless you are an SME and are applying for that type of position. For example a high level Citrix Consultant or Architect that regularly goes to Synergy or a BCP/DR expert that regularly goes to DRJ's conference.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    i'm on the fence about this one. I would leave them off unless you are an SME and are applying for that type of position. For example a high level Citrix Consultant or Architect that regularly goes to Synergy or a BCP/DR expert that regularly goes to DRJ's conference.

You make a good point and I almost said it would depend on the position you were after and the frequency of conference attendance. My other thought would be that an employer found you valuable enough to pay the exorbitant price for you to go. That says a lot I think but as others have stated it could be talking points during your interview.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The situation I could see to put it on there is if you are a presenter or member of a committe. Something more than just an attende.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.