Options

Passed The 220-802 Today - Frustrations Though

ElementaryOSElementaryOS Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Greetings,

Have any of you had your mind cloud over during the exam? Like, you kept reading the question over and over but just couldn't process what you were reading? Like you were sitting there in a daze, feeling half asleep? confused.png

Have you ever had a marathon gaming session, like 10+ hours? You know how that by the end your brain is a mess and your eyes just can't focus properly? That's literally how I felt today. I was fine when I walked in and sat down, but for whatever reason; lighting, monitor position, background noise etc., my brain and vision instantly went to mush. This happened at this same testing center with the 801 exam, just not nearly as bad (I think I'll try a different testing center next time.)

Not only that but some of the simulation questions were so vague and confusing I didn't know exactly what they wanted me to do. In some cases I couldn't understand what they were telling me NOT to do. These questions got me extremely frustrated and I wasted too much time with them. Consequently, I barely finished the exam on time and I was sure I was going to fail. I even just randomly picked the answers for two of the questions so that I could get them all answered in time.

I passed the exam but was very disappointed. I walked out of the testing center literally feeling like I was half-asleep, and I felt very upset. I studied for the past 4 weeks full time (I took time off work.) I wanted to score 95%+ and I failed to do so. icon_cry.gif Some of you will say it doesn't matter but since I don't have a lot of recent experience in this field, I figured that a high score might impress potential employers.

Somehow I managed to score 844 out of 900. I have no idea how. I thought for sure that I would fail. 93.7% isn't terrible but I wanted to do better and if my brain hadn't gone to mush I would have done better. I am absolutely amazed that I scored that high, considering how I felt. I keep looking at the score just to make sure that my eyes aren't deceiving me. I scored 863 / 900 on the 801 and I wanted 95%+ on this exam too. I know that I should be jumping for joy right now but sadly, I'm not.

Comments

• Options
    MattyIceVAMattyIceVA Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing! It sound like it may have been some sort of anxiety. I tired and in a daze when I get nervous about something. I'm assuming I will get that way in a month with I take the 801 exam. Congrats again!
  • Options
    RuminusRuminus Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There's an old saying floating around that "They don't put your scores on the certs." While shooting for a very high score is a great thing and certainly laudable, a pass is a pass and you deserve to feel great about it! Congratulations.
    WGU Classes Finished: GAC1, WFV1, UBC1, EUP1, EUC1, TCP1, COV1, CJC1, CUV1, CQV1, IWT1, TPV1, CTV1, C173, C185, ABV1, C179, C697, C698
    Program (BSIT-NA) completion: 80%
  • Options
    Good luck to you in your quest for the 801!

I have been wanting to do this for many years now and I've finally made it!

I'd recommend to you that before you start the exam to take a few minutes to get comfortable in your chair. Also try not to get too close to the monitor as that may have mucked up my vision. It may be those things and it may be anxiety as you said. I've put a hell of a lot of pressure on myself lately.
  • Options
    Ruminus wrote: »
    There's an old saying floating around that "They don't put your scores on the certs." While shooting for a very high score is a great thing and certainly laudable, a pass is a pass and you deserve to feel great about it! Congratulations.

That's true. But until my cert comes in the mail I have the paper work from Pearson as my proof. But I'll definitely keep that in mind! Thanks!
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Honestly, scores on a cert rarely ever matter and employers won't care what your score was only that you have and carry that cert. Don't beat yourself up over it as you have it passed and that is what truly matters.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Kopite_21Kopite_21 Member Posts: 194 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! :D
  • Options
    cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    An employer should never ask what you scored on the test. A pass is a pass! Grats man! 844 is a great score!!! How did you study for the test? I need to take my 802, just passed my 801 2 weeks ago.
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    A pass is a pass. Always has been, always will be. Frankly, I wish they would return to no reported score and leave it at Pass/Fail.

Too many worry about a score and never learn the material. Points matter in high school when playing the GPA game! not in certification.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    A pass is a pass. Always has been, always will be. Frankly, I wish they would return to no reported score and leave it at Pass/Fail.

Too many worry about a score and never learn the material. Points matter in high school when playing the GPA game! not in certification.

Thanks everyone!

Interesting, I wasn't aware that in the past they didn't show the score. That might be a good idea.

Doesn't having a high score prove that you know the material, though? Why did they decide to start showing the score?
  • Options
    cdx wrote: »
    An employer should never ask what you scored on the test. A pass is a pass! Grats man! 844 is a great score!!! How did you study for the test? I need to take my 802, just passed my 801 2 weeks ago.

Congrats to you! icon_cheers.gif

First, I watched the Professor Messer 802 videos to get a light visual introduction. I was going to skip the Prof. and just go through the book to save time, but I found this course of action to be quite tedious. What makes Professor Messer's videos great is that he gives you a light run down on the various topics first, so that when you read the book it feels much less tedious since you've already covered quite a bit of information. That being said however, the Professor does give out some incorrect information and he'll often go off topic. When I study for the Network+ I'm not going to take any notes while watching Messer's videos. I'll only make notes while reading the study book after.

Second, I used the Exam Cram book. It's the smallest book with the most up to date and accurate information. Even then it's more than you need to know for the exam. I took an A+ course a couple years back and we were told to buy Mike Meyer's All In One book to use with the course. I found that book to be extremely tedious and at the time I (obviously) didn't finish studying for the exam. I'd recommend to anyone and everyone to just focus on passing the test first. Then after you've got the certification you can go and buy a bigger book like the All In One and add to your knowledge. It's better to get your certification quicker with less knowledge than to take longer to get it with more knowledge. You will always need to add to your knowledge after you become certified anyway.

Third. I used the Mnemoysne program. Instead of writing notes, I copied and pasted important text from the ebook into Mnemosyne. Then I was able to review quite easily. I much prefer this method over taking notes. One idea that I think might work well is to highlight important text in a physical book and then review it again and again after you have read all the way through.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks everyone!

Interesting, I wasn't aware that in the past they didn't show the score. That might be a good idea.

Doesn't having a high score prove that you know the material, though? Why did they decide to start showing the score?

All a high score shows is that you are good at taking tests/exams. All that should matter is that you passed especially when it comes to the A+ exam and if an employer wanted to know my score I wouldn't even know where to look it up at. I've never been asked for a score on any certification, only if I had it. Whether you get a perfect score, or pass with the minimum passing score it looks the same on paper. What really matters is if you can apply what you learned in that certification while doing your job and you are competent. If I were a hiring manager and I saw a resume that listed the scores on a certification exam I would think that person will not be a good fit because they will feel that they are smarter or better than others because they had a high score in an entry level certification. I don't want someone on my team that likes to flaunt that they are smart. I want them to be smart and to do their job and work great in a team environment while getting along with their co-workers.

Congrats on the pass and good luck in your future endeavors.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!!! icon_thumright.gif
    Have any of you had your mind cloud over during the exam? Like, you kept reading the question over and over but just couldn't process what you were reading? Like you were sitting there in a daze, feeling half asleep? confused.png

This happens most the time when I am studying, I always stay alert and focused when I am in the exam room, so yeah I know what you mean.
  • Options
    Snow.bros wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass!!! icon_thumright.gif

This happens most the time when I am studying, I always stay alert and focused when I am in the exam room, so yeah I know what you mean.

You've got the same problem the opposite way. icon_wink.gif