Options

CCNP Switch - Multicasting

bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
Hi All,

Just a quick question regarding Multicasting in the NP Switch, has anyone found in their Switch switch stuides that the Multicasting section is quite a headache?

I've never come across this in my previous stuides and it seems like Multicasting protocols etc is a whole different kettle of fish!

Any thoughts regarding future stuides and Multicasting protocols (PIM, Dense PIM etc) appearing in future stuides, eg: CCIE? And also any tips on how to undertand the steps of multicasting protocols a bit easier?

Thanks
2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]

Comments

• Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    I would highly recommend the INE Multicast videos. At the CCNP level they want to make sure you understand the theory behind multicast deployment. At the CCIE level you have to know it like the back of your hand icon_smile.gif
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Multicast is definitely in the CCIE exam objectives, and I would recommend check out either:

-Deploying IP Multicast Networks
    -TCP/IP Vol 2
    Or both. I don't know if they just limit themselves to PIM in the IE, but learn what the difference between shared (*,G) and source (S,G) trees are. Also, learn the different between dense (Legacy. Uses "Push" principle and only source tree), sparse (Use pull method by using a rendezvous point. Uses a shared tree between the receiver and RP initially, then does a Shortest Path Tree switchover via IGP table after receiver receives first multicast packet), and sparse-dense (Sparse if RP for multicast group is configured, dense for all others). Also, one thing you want to look into that isn't in those two books is SSM (Source Specific Multicast). It's more modern. Make sure to learn the difference between the 3 IGMP versions as well (IGMPv1 does not support leave messages). I am trying to compile a comprehensive multicast tutorial myself. When I finish it, I'll be sure to send it your way. Multicast didn't really seem to be a big part of the CCNP SWITCH though to be honest...
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    There's no multicast stuff on the switch exam. Hope this helps icon_lol.gif

Besides, the bulk of multicast is at layer 3.
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    HSRP/GLBP Multicast addresses of 224.0.0.2, 224.0.0.102 I did see with out disclosing more. Other then those 2 I wouldn't sweat it.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Thaks for the replies to this question guys, that would be fantastic Wolf! Thanks also Fred, still going to plough through this for my Switch exam.

Hodabuff, I see what you mean, I have remembered the majority of these M.Cast addresses so will bear that in mind for the exam.
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I find Multicast to be a real headache because I've never deployed it for any applications before.

So having to learn a lot about it for CCIE